rambling on, .. thinking of selling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, I hate these types of threads... woe is me, thinking of selling.

but I have to ramble and talk to somebody...

I guess I am fortunate in that I have two FJ45s, the 1964 FJ45 swb (Pumpkin Truck) fully restored... and a 66 FJ45 lwb which is in the middle of a full frame off restoration, frame and drive train done, in paint shop now.

The pumpkin truck's restoration equated to nearly 20K. Replacement frame, rebuilt 292, 72 axles, toyota 4 spd, 3 spd case, body work, rebuilding every component on it, etc... whether you do it yourself or farm it out, it seems to cost that much.

the long bed will be nearly 20K when done if you figure in front bumper and wheels/tires. it includes new crate V8, rebuilt SM465, plate adapter to rebuilt 73 tcase, Detroits in rebuilt 3rds, mini truck outers and hy steer, PS, 4 wheel disc brakes, kicker bar, SO, on board air, twin sticks, you name it, this truck has it.

But how do I justify having two 20K FJ45s? I can only drive one. How do you decide which one to keep and which to sell? Before you say Keep them both, bare in mind I also have a built 85 4Runner, my 82 truggy rock crawler, and a 78 FJ40 (which will be sold too). I also have my stock 86 mini truck daily driver, my full size ford as tow vehicle, and a variety of Honda Accords. Something is going to have to go.

and finally, if I were to sell one such as the 64, does anyone pay 20K for a restored FJ45?

bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda, woe is me. Too many FJ45s. :) Heck, if this is my only concern, life is good. Sorry to ramble.

PICS... We Need Pics!!!

:D

Can't possibly give you any kind of opinion without them.

resize, fail, resize, fail...

lets try this again...
pumpkintruck_small.jpg

well, now that I gave myself a lesson in posting photos, I'll post up some progress on the lwb...
here is (dead) engine and cab fit on prep'ed frame.
FJ45lwb1.jpg

lets try this again...
FJ45lwb2.jpg

Keep them all. Had to say it. the orange one is clean. I bet it would sell for more than you are in to it. Which rigs hold the most sentimental value? Don't want any regrets down the road.

Let me know via PM how much or when you want to sell the 78 40. I know of a few people looking.

Dave Thomas

it's easy to keep them...just drive a different one each day. i have seven rigs, there's seven rigs in the week. (too bad only three run:frown: )

too many?

I was pretty sure the post was from Tony, until I read it. Does anyone live near Tony. We have an emergency...someone needs to get right over there and see how he is. He has either been married too long or his wife has taken over his posts. Those words could not have come from a man's mind. Is it possible for one of us to think, let alone pronounce, the need to justify owning multiple 45s when you can only drive one at a time. If you are able to read this Tony, come back to conscousness and run! A week away and I think you have a chance.

Good luck, God Bless
Dukes

In case your wife has intercepted this, she will fully understand why I am still not married. ;)

MVS is treatable, but not curable! We are blessed to be in the company of those who understand our sickness and are NOT trying to cure us.;p

But I DO understand your situation. I let one of my lwb's go almost 5 years ago now. Got to see it almost finished........two owners later, before it got shipped off to the east coast, where 66lwb45 owns it now. Then I let the 25 project go.

I built my swb from scratch, myself. Only farmed out the paint. I considered it a personal milestone to build a truck from scratch and have it run so well that the battery in it lasted 10 years. Now I don't drive it much either. I don't know which is worse; not driving it [because I simply LIKE my lwb more] or the regret I will have if I sell it because it doesn't seem right to just let it sit around.
Basically, I think I enjoyed the challenge of building it more than actually owning it, because it's just too darn purdy to wheel, and gosh darn it, cruisers were meant to be wheeled.

Well I started out to talk you into keeping your rig, but I didn't quite end up there!:rolleyes:

If you're gonna wheel the lwb when it's done, then you should sell one of the non LC's and keep both 45s so you have a wheeler and a show truck. If the lwb turns into another showpiece [it happens despite our intentions sometimes*] then sell it and keep the swb anyways. My .02

Mark A.

[*ask Dusty 66 about his 40, or Phil McGrane about his 40. I'm sure there are quite a few others]

Give me the 45 pickup. Problem solved.

I wish I had your problems! :D lol!! man keep them all... you will regret if you ever sell one... once you restore something part of you is in it!!! It would be like selling part of you!! what is money anyway!!! you can not take it with you.. but you can be buried in your cruisers! :D

PS they look great... I would love to see more pics!

Tony, Knowing you and knowing stories on the pumpkin truck I'd hate to see you sell it. Your eyes light up everytime you tell stories about it and the history behind it is awesome! The family ties and memories you have related to that truck are something all of us wish we had.
But I understand if you were to need to sell it. I'm not sure what your intentions are for the LWB and it's future. I can't help you justify having the too many truck syndrome as i'm in the same boat myself and am pretty much decided to sell one of my fleet off this year. But at least pull the driveshaft off the pumpking truck and keep it on a wall for laughs and memories if you sell it!

But alas if it were me and i'm facing a similar decision. Consolidate down and meet your immediate needs first.. YOu need a hardcore wheeler for solo trips. Which you have.. You need a weekend wheeler for intermediate trails? and a driver for fun just cause.. WEll.. Your Tony and if you were to show up at a club meeting or something else in well a "normal" wheeler it just wouldn't be right!
So in my opinion that leaves you with the tow rig, the truggy, the built stockish 4runner to keep Cindy happy and to haul your dutch ovens. Now to the Unique wheeler club run weekend driver? You have one built.. Done with tons of memories.. Your also building one now.. Which is more important to you?

Sell the 40, Sell the 86 mini, sell the accords, (well sell the 91, keep cindy's) take that money buy a used Jetta TDI that gets 55mpg.. Keep the pumpkin truck for now until everything else is settled.. And keep the 45 project.. Then decide after selling all the other stuff.. What exactly do I want to do with the 45lwb.. Continue to have something to tinker with and build or not.. If you decide not then liquidate it and have fun with the toys you currently have and are done (that's relative they're not ever done)..
I personally like a project and would go crazy if I didn't have one.. This can be justified by keeping as your "Sanity project" after the houses are juggled and done and you sell off a few things to thin the fleet.

Anyway.. You asked. But I'd sell the 40 and the daily driver mini first.. What exactly makes a mini a daily driver anyway? It's not the mileage!
Then regroup and come back and ask us again! I wouldn't sell the older accord until you really decide what to do.. Besides.. I have my beater accord that has 309000 miles on it now so it's a waste to sell it now!

When we're dead and gone what's the point? It is all just stuff...junk, cool junk but it is still junk. I am still trying to figure how to down size. Ask your wife, she knows you better than you do. Good luck man.

BTW, TRT2 has one cool wife.

Sell your Pumpkin 45 to a Cruiserhead for cheap. To someone who will drive it often, take care of it, give it the attention it deserves, and create even more great memories with it. All the while giving you credit for passing it on to another worthy owner/addict. (Like me) :D

Plus, not having the running 45swb around will make you even more hungry to turn the lpb into exactly the vehicle you want.

But seriously, I feel your pain. I've got too many cruisers and have thought of selling my 45 or 55 and/or 40 several times.

No real advice to give just hope you make the right decision and don't regret it.

Do you have a son or daughter that would appreciate a 45 or 40? Keep them in the family and gift it to your kids? Park it at your weekend get away like a cabin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom