clanking sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like the slip yoke on the rear drive shaft. Best way to fix is to disconnect the rear shaft, split the yoke. clean and re-grease. If you just fill it from the grease fitting you could lock the shaft.

Sounds like the slip yoke on the rear drive shaft. Best way to fix is to disconnect the rear shaft, split the yoke. clean and re-grease. If you just fill it from the grease fitting you could lock the shaft.

Pulled the driveshaft today and I expected it would make the clanking sound if I shook it around. No deal. I took the slip yoke off and it is in good shape. I regreased and will reinstall.

Still trying to figure this sound out. It's getting worse--ranges from a squeeking to what sounds like something dragging or banging around. It seems to increase and decrease with rpms. Definately coming from below, not the engine.

any ideas? I thought of putting the truck on stands and running it while someone shifts so I can pinpoint the location of the sound. Bad idea?

Just a thought... is your driveshaft in phase?

Actually... I doubt if your driveline was out of phase it would make the noise described. Possibly a worn pinion gear or bearing? Is there an abnormal amount of play in your driveline?

while you've got the driveshaft off, check the pinion nut. mine did something similar to this, and that's what it was. bad if you don't catch it on time.
i did, but somebody else fixed while i was out of town, and the second time it did it, it dropped the pinion. bad, bad, bad.

Ever since I've owned my 60 (ca 2yrs) I've noticed a clanking sound that seem to emit from the region of the drive shafts. I hear it occaisionally when I take off from a stand still or brake. Any ideas on what it might be?

U joints. If required buy OEM only.

HTH John

You could be missing a few bolts from a track shoe...

Oh, sorry. I get the Land Cruiser forum confused with the Cat forum.

Both are good off road.:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom