OME install on BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to make an attempt to install a OME lift kit myself. I did a few searches in the 70 section but no info available. I did get a lot of usefull info from the 80 section but I was wondering if there are any tricks or warnings specific to a 70 series.

Check the u bolt after some driving and wheeling. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward replacement. BFH and heat to get the bushings out...

I have been told that there are a couple bolts that need to bwe cut off because they are installed before the gas tank. Also there are a couple components that are specific to the driver and pass side. I would try calling the guys at 4 wheel in edmonton. Rudy has done so many of these that he could probably do it in his sleep.
PS flames suck!

Many people and some venders don't know that the rear pin (not the bushing part but the shoulder part) is larger than the front. Make sure they didn't give four of the same size.

Where did you get the OME kit?

I got a good deal from Modern Motors.

Have the truck level on stands. Only bolts to cut are the ones by the fule tank. As the truck is JDM all bolts should come off with little effort. Remeber to cut the excess lenght off the U bolts after install. I did a kit from modern motors last srping went in in about 4 hors with no real problems.. Also two floor jacks help tp move the axles into place. Have fun.

Have the truck level on stands. Only bolts to cut are the ones by the fule tank. As the truck is JDM all bolts should come off with little effort. Remeber to cut the excess lenght off the U bolts after install. I did a kit from modern motors last srping went in in about 4 hors with no real problems.. Also two floor jacks help tp move the axles into place. Have fun.

So do I still need to soak everything down with penetrating fluid, or will it be ok?

Mine came right off with no oil. The truck had been in Canada (Calgary) for about a year. I also used anti-siez on the new bolts.

If the truck is recent import with no rust under it they should come off with no problems.

Mine came right off with no oil. The truck had been in Canada (Calgary) for about a year. I also used anti-siez on the new bolts.

If the truck is recent import with no rust under it they should come off with no problems.

Thanks for the info John. Just curious, do you live in Tuscany?

in tuscany

If you've seen a lifted 74 in tuscany, that's probably mine.

And doing a set of springs is so easy, I did it twice! (I didn't get my left and right springs on the correct sides and all the shackles that came with my kit were wrong.)

If you've seen a lifted 74 in tuscany, that's probably mine.

And doing a set of springs is so easy, I did it twice! (I didn't get my left and right springs on the correct sides and all the shackles that came with my kit were wrong.)

Who supplied the lift kit?

Kudos to 4WheelAuto

Who supplied the lift kit?

I got the kit from Wayne, who I guess had it sitting around his shop for a quite awhile. He had got it Dan in Edmonton, who, when i told him the kit had the wrong shackles, immediately sent out a fresh set despite the fact that I didn't actually buy the kit from him. I was very impressed with the service.

I got the kit from Wayne, who I guess had it sitting around his shop for a quite awhile. He had got it Dan in Edmonton, who, when i told him the kit had the wrong shackles, immediately sent out a fresh set despite the fact that I didn't actually buy the kit from him. I was very impressed with the service.

We are lucky to have both of those guys within a close proximity.

What springs did you go with? Mediums all around?

You mentioned that you initially installed the springs on the wrong side. Just so I am clear, the DS springs go on the right side, correct?

i have done all 4 corners on a JDM in under 2 hours but then i have access to the proper tools and a pit to work with. usually it is closer to 4 hours.
Joe,
you need to make sure you have access to either a hacksaw or a set of torches to remove the rear shackles.
laying on your back and working on the ground i would bet it will take a full 2 days of grunting to get it done. why not wait and get the lift done at the same time as the 5 speed swap. i charge the same as Modern or ProActive.
one thing, once you start you have to finish.

it really is quite straight forward to do. you can do it. it is a good learning lesson...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom