The 1984-2006 70 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dedicated this thread for the 1984 - 2006 70 Series Landcruisers.

I will have all my subjects and photos under this thread, and I will add all details in every day in several posts due to being busy at work.

I will try to get as much photos and information as possible about this RIGID 70 Series LANDCRUISERS, while other companies sadly went into cheap quality and low dependapility, TOYOTA LANDCRUISERS 70 SERIES still going strong and still has a reputation for utility, reliability and excellent performance in diverse driving environments.

The 70 series is really the best.:)

Enjoy the attached photos and more on the way :cheers:
fzj71 hard top.jpg
ZX74.jpg
RED FZJ74.jpg

70 Series Landcruisers

I think the US makers do not want more imported cars to come and compete with their cars and trucks such as 70 series landcruisers.

These are really very strong and long lasting trucks, and i think the US makers do not want such high quality vehicles to change their strategy and targets for having less quality vehicles that will make the customers buy more spare parts, and that will give them more profit.

Can you remember the old American trucks, all of them, up until the 80's, they were more strong and have more dependability than current trucks.

Other factor is that the 70 series have No air bags or anti lock brakes and I think this is against the US regulations.

The 70 series are a little bit simple, i mean they do not rely alote on computers and electronics, and that is an advantage which make them last longer on the road with alote less breaks and faliars.:cool:

Now that is the rear bumper/tire carrier combo that I want for my FJ45 LWB.

I think the US makers do not want more imported cars to come and compete with their cars and trucks such as 70 series landcruisers.

These are really very strong and long lasting trucks, and i think the US makers do not want such high quality vehicles to change their strategy and targets for having less quality vehicles that will make the customers buy more spare parts, and that will give them more profit.

Can you remember the old American trucks, all of them, up until the 80's, they were more strong and have more dependability than current trucks.

Other factor is that the 70 series have No air bags or anti lock brakes and I think this is against the US regulations.

The 70 series are a little bit simple, i mean they do not rely alote on computers and electronics, and that is an advantage which make them last longer on the road with alote less breaks and faliars.:cool:

Maybe so. They do it in the form of federal safety and emissions regulations. :rolleyes:

70's not so attractive in Canada?

Suprising as it is, the 70's seem to really have limited appeal here in Canada, even in the boonies where I live.

I'm a big fan of the seventy series and I drive a HZJ77. It's a nice rig but I get very very few people asking me about my truck even though it's unique in the area.

People really seem happy with their small gasser trucks, their "soccer mum" SUV's, and their massive turbo diesel rigs.

The Prado 78's may be an issue. They are getting a bad rep around here.

I think its already been answered why they never came to the US.I think they would get a novelty following and of course the diehard LC guys but these numbers wouldnt be enough.
We have a winter vehicle testing site down here in NZ and see many interesting
vehicles.I remember a bunch of testing guys climbing all over the previous gen hilux work trucks at the facility.It wasnt nice seeing all these top guys from bosch,pirelli,GM techs etc laughing and joking about our "tiny fruitless utilitarian work trolleys". :frown:

Injoy the photos

Here are more photos for the amazing 70 series.:)
288902.jpg
IMGA0311.JPG
world_Lybia_0035.jpg

Air bags - yes, ABS - no. There are 2007 model cars being sold where ABS isn't available. It is still considered an optional item.

LC Lover, I'm not sure where in the middle east you are at, but I've always wondered why an investor in the UAE - won't considered retrofitting the items needed on these 70s and shipping some to the U.S. Dubai is a huge shipping part, cheap labor, and a trading partner with the U.S.

What would make it even easier is for the middle-eastern market to push for U.S.-spec'd safety and emissions standards, then all an investor would have to do is ship.

Another option would be to start finding 70s close to 25-years old, buy them up, and ship them to us when they become EPA/NHTSA exempt.

I could be your Mountain State representative...

pipe-dreaming

Last edited:
Air bags - yes, ABS - no. There are 2007 model cars being sold where ABS isn't available. It is still considered an optional item.

LC Lover, I'm not sure where in the middle east you are at, but I've always wondered why an investor in the UAE - won't considered retrofitting the items needed on these 70s and shipping some to the U.S. Dubai is a huge shipping part, cheap labor, and a trading partner with the U.S.

What would make it even easier is for the middle-eastern market to push for U.S.-spec'd safety and emissions standards, then all an investor would have to do is ship.

Another option would be to start finding 70s close to 25-years old, buy them up, and ship them to us when they become EPA/NHTSA exempt.

I could be your Mountain State representative...

pipe-dreaming

The first option won't work because of the DOT requirements (70 series won't meet, there's no dash with airbags anywhere), but the second option, I think people are going to be all over it. It's not going to be easy finding 70 series from 1984/85 vintage that are still worth it, but by 2009/2010, a lot of people will be looking! :)

The first option won't work because of the DOT requirements (70 series won't meet, there's no dash with airbags anywhere), but the second option, I think people are going to be all over it. It's not going to be easy finding 70 series from 1984/85 vintage that are still worth it, but by 2009/2010, a lot of people will be looking! :)

Just to push the thought process forward:

Rumor has it that to get a mid 80s 70-series in from Canadian only requires a RI, and that may only run around $300 - $500. This is a cruiser that doesn't have air bags and are in semi rough shape due to the winters.

Air bags were probably required in the mid 90's as my 95 FZJ80 has them, but I don't think earlier 90-91-92 Cruisers did.

So, if LC Lover could find a couple of 70-series LHDs, say between 88 to 90, then I wonder what it would require to get them in the states. I can't imagine it would be much different from bringing in a 87 70-series from Canada.

Just a thought. Makes it almost tempting enough to get my RI licenses just to find out.

LC Lover - what is the market like there for 88 to 90 70-series?

No one here in the gulf area will think about retrofiting an AIR BAG

Hi all, I think in the middle east No one care about airbags specially on 70 series Landcruisers, I think if the 70 series have air bags they will remove them because they use these truck very hard, pushing pulling. I saw one 75 series pick up pulling a HUGE trailer in the dunes and having a load of about four to six very large Diesel tanks in its bed, so no one cares here about air bags.

In the country OMAN they push their boats with the 70 series front bumber and having two tires on the front bumber to do the job.

I am from KUWAIT, and I think if JAPAN make these trucks with air bags and all the other rules they have to follow, their sales will go down and they will not be the strong dependable trucks they are known for, they will be like all other trucks in the market, soft, comfy and undependable.

I love the 70 series for what they are at the moment. I feel that somtimes changes are not very important if the product is the best in the market. That don't mean I do not like the new face 2007 70 series, actually I love them and I am planning to get one.

I will try to think about finding 1984 - 1990 70 series models around hat are worth it and think about what you said.

The price are very cheap, I do not know how much.

any way injoy the posted photos:) :cheers:
hzj73_jacob.jpg
IMGP00121web.JPG
landcruiser78_image1.jpg

Got any more pictures of the truck with the dual tire carrier bumper? I'm interested to see how that bumper is mounted without interfering with the tailgate hinges.

I looks kind of like a Kaymar, but a bit different somehow...

Toyota Australia have stated that airbags will not work on a 7* series and they have not fitted them ,nor do they plan to fit them to the 2007 model.
It would take a ground up redesign.

The do however have a crumple zone which is the little car that you hit:eek::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom