80s Unstopable? Mine just eats brakes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '94 FZJ80 and have never had a single "serious" problem beyond replacing brakes every 40K miles. I have never seen the check engine light and beyond changing the brakes every 40K, I have really only had to have the seals in my front axel changed.

I am new to 'Mud, and I was never worried about my Truck until then. I am now seeing problems with the '93/'94 ECUs and other types of electro-mechanical problems--mainly new buyers being told that there is a lot of overhead in just getting it running the way it should.

What are some general things an 80s owner should be aware of/worried about? I though these things were unstoppable. Mine certainly has been. But what should I be preparing for?

Not sure what your question is, but I think you should read the sticky threads and FAQ to get up to speed on your truck's maintenance expectations. Welcome

DougM

you don't list your mileage, but I'd say you can probably expect: possible headgasket, and the normal EGR, O2 sensors, PHH, front axle seals, starter contacts/plunger, valve cover gasket, rear main / pan arch. Everything but the headgasket I would call expected maintenance items on a 10+ year old vehicle.

Last edited:
I have 161K. But, I guess my main question is what should I do as preventative maintenance? Until joining 'Mud I thought I could just get burried in the thing. I was pretty much hoping for a list of the typical problems I should expect. Reading this forum has made me feel blessed. No real problems yet. Just getting worried.

I figure that the 80's that are still with the original owners are the right tip of the bell curve. Chances are they've been well maintained by people who appreciate the vehicle, and that they've never had significant problems that would make someone sell.

The Landcruiser IS the most reliable, hardcore offroad vehicle that I have ever owned! Don't fret. ;)

These rigs rock, but I can understand your sentiment. I bought an 80 because of this forum, but also because of this forum, I worry about every phantom noise, squeek, whine, and knock that I hear. Lately I've had a hard time even listening to the radio because then I can't hear if everything is ok with the motor, lol.
I think I just need to relax. Check the FAQ for PM and keep driving.

one thing you need to realize is nobody starts a thread and says "My cruiser started and ran just fine today"

there are a lot of members here, many of them new and just about every problem any of them has gets posted here.

read the FAQ, everything in there are things you should know about your 80.

one thing you need to realize is nobody starts a thread and says "My cruiser started and ran just fine today"

there are a lot of members here, many of them new and just about every problem any of them has gets posted here.

read the FAQ, everything in there are things you should know about your 80.

x2 - my '94 is mechancally well maintained. cosmetically? its just sort of maintained....I have a great deal of faith in my '94 with 150k miles

As compared with any other 13-14 year old rig, My 80 is the most reliable I've ever owned. It has never left me stranded. As far as the ECU problem, I replaced mine, but it never did run funny, just threw the code. If you don't see the code, don't worry. Even if you see the code, don't worry, nobody seems to know what actually goes wrong with thew ECU and I can find no post that has to do with an engine ceasing to run because of it. 40k from set of brake pads? you are doing good, must drive like a grandma. I get 18-20k from the upsize 100 series pads, but I tow all the time. Welcome Aboard!:flipoff2:

Yea if you are getting 40K out of a set of pads you're doing great.

I was getting about 15-20k out of my stock pads when I had my stock rotors. I switched to these Powerstop Brembo rotors with semi-metallics about 50k miles ago. I haven't looked back. Better stopping and much less wear.

I just had a caliper stick and overheat so I had both calipers replaced. The only reason I replaced the pads (they still had 20-30k miles left) was that the ones on the sticking caliper had heat damage. Both rotors were fine and did not need to be turned.

The Powerstops cost about twice as much as stock vented rotors but for me they were well worth it from a stopping and wear standpoint.

I think the majority of problems seen are from poor maintanence from the previous owner(s)...get the fluids based lined and get familar with it then go from there.....remember you are driving an old vehicle so it will need constant care...

Our old '92 consumed a set of parts store special pads every 15k or so.

I think that with -any- vehicle, brakes aren't so much a matter of miles but an indicator of the service life. Our '92 was an in town soccer mom mobile. Constant stop & go wears brakes fast. Couple that with the relatively small pad size for a relatively large vehicle, and they seem to wear fast.

Some people drive a lot of highway miles and get great distance on a set. My opinion, whenever you change the oil, pull a wheel and see whats going on. It is one of those things where a small problem can become a big problem if it isn't found & fixed.

As always, YMMV.

The only thing I worry about with my 94 is putting gas in it. Other than that i have had no worries. 170K and going very strong.

"My cruiser started and ran just fine today"

That is all.

:D

-B-

Thanks for the reassurances. I am the original owner of my 80, so I know that it has been taken care of. And, I do drive like and grandma, which helps even more.

Also, I think I mistakenly quoted mileage at 40K for my breaks, 20K sounds more accurate. I am getting 40K on each pair of tires (still running the same type of Bridgestones it came with).

(still running the same type of Bridgestones it came with).

Well there is a problem right there. You should get that fixed as soon as possible :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom