1HD-T noisy, diesel mech in lower mainland? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.jjadventuretours.com
With 170,000 km on the odo now (50 of that mine), I've recently noticed a dramatic drop in both power and fuel efficiency. The truck hesitates on acceleration. It also seems "noisier" than it used to be (clacking louder). My 5 speed with the identical engine sounds quiet by comparison (and has way more oomph).

I'm pretty sure it is time for a turbo rebuild, but this wouldn't explain the louder diesel clacking noise. What might be causing it? Timing off? Valves? Injectors? Blown head? (just kidding ...i hope). Manifold leak?

Also can anyone recommend a good diesel mech in the lower mainland area. I've heard good things about Surry Diesel Injection, any other recommendations? I'm thinking I should get a compression check and the injectors, valves and timing looked at, as well as my turbo rebuild.

I know there is an issue with lower bearings wiping on the 1HD-T... I think it has been recommended that they be checked/changed out upon getting the truck.
That's all I got.

Ciaran Wilson of CruiserLand is a certified Toyota Master Tech who works on nothing but Toyota diesels now. He's quite busy, but if you can get your rig in there, he's well worth the wait and money...his phone number is (604)514-3716.

Ken at ATEB is also another great resource. His shop works on countless JDM's, a lot of them Toyota Diesels. Their phone number is (604)438-7537.

Good luck.

Ciaran Wilson of CruiserLand is a certified Toyota Master Tech who works on nothing but Toyota diesels now. He's quite busy, but if you can get your rig in there, he's well worth the wait and money...his phone number is (604)514-3716.

Ken at ATEB is also another great resource. His shop works on countless JDM's, a lot of them Toyota Diesels. Their phone number is (604)438-7537.

Good luck.

Haha Ciaran did my BEB when i first brought it in. He's real busy usually and a bit of a drive. ATEB are good for all round mechanicals and BEB but not really a diesel shop. They have to send out for fuel pump service etc.

I take the landcruiser to ATEB for all the stuff I need fixed in the truck

Yep, I will probably take it to ATEB to get the turbo changed out and see how it runs after that.

If your using a shop, don't tell them what to fix. That's the expensive way to not get it fixed right. Let them troubleshoot the engine for you. Only tell them the symptoms. They will inspect the turbo, boost psi. Valves etc.

Never tell a shop my turbo is needs to be changed. They will just change the turbo and hand it back. You will go for drive and nothing may have changed.

Also can anyone recommend a good diesel mech in the lower mainland area. I've heard good things about Surry Diesel Injection, any other recommendations? I'm thinking I should get a compression check and the injectors, valves and timing looked at, as well as my turbo rebuild.

Why not try Rob Milson as well. I believe you have his contact information, and he has all the tools to so a set, check compression, etc...

There are many things to check before getting to the turbo...

hth's

gb

May I recomend Gil's Service Station Ltd
While it is no longer a service station thay moved to this building a few years ago. Thay have a long legion of loyal customers that keeps them busy all year round. Thay recently did a major $80,000 modification to a 70 series land cruiser and have worked on other land cruiser over the years. Darrel and Dan are honest and have been mechanics for at least 20 or more. Thay know there stuff and now only work week days as thay are doing so much work in the week thay do not need to work weekends anymore. Give them a call.

Gil's Service Station Ltd - 604-594-5919
4-7780 135A Street, Surrey, BC V3W 9A7

Thanks for the recs, Rob used to do all my work until his accident, didnt realize he has a new shop? I took it to ATEB and after a rebuilt turbo and some serious shimming on the valves it is now sounding 100% better. Now the turbo whines like it should and no grating noise from the turbo or valve clakety-clack, runs far smoother, more power and I presume better fuel eco. I took Ken's (ATEB's) HDJ for a comparison run and now i want a 3' exhaust too. Definitely more vroom. I also finally got the acsd off, now i no longer have a fluctuating idle. I will take it to Raj at Holmes for some fine timing adjustment and pump tuning and she should be good for another 150,000 km (touch wood).

I have a little sound in my HD-T and I'm,, pretty sure it's caused by me, playing with the timing in my diesel pump ..

I'm not really worried about the turbo .. unles you can see clear symptoms of that like the black smoke coz you don't have enought air to burn your diesel ..

1HD-T diesel service / PM

Guys - not sure how a 16-year old IHDT should sound (can't compare to other diesel LCs as well since I don't have access to them). I wish there is a facility in mud to upload sound/wav files. Anyway, I always had the mindset that diesels are loud. Can an old diesel be made to run quieter by doing service/PMs?

When I saw the posts below about "clacking" sound that made me think: what are the Service or Preventive Maintenance Items that are done for a 1HDT Diesel Engine? I have done all the requisitie fluid/oil baselines; did the front-axle service last year, replaced the timing belt, replaced alt/ac belts; drained coolant; replaced brake pads/fluid, etc.

But since we've own the LC80, I don't remember having done anything related to the diesel engine (aside from the usual 3k/5k oil changes)

I saw a local Mitsubishi diesel van in a car shop before. The mechanic was adjusting the valve clearance. When I asked him what about Toyota diesels, especially my cruiser, he said Toyota diesels are self-adjusting. Hence nothing to service. Is that true?

How about those diesel injection/calibration shops? How do I determine if I need to have mine serviced by them? So far, I don't have any power loss problem nor very loud clacking noises. I actually have better fuel economy compared to other newer diesels.

I saw a local Mitsubishi diesel van in a car shop before. The mechanic was adjusting the valve clearance. When I asked him what about Toyota diesels, especially my cruiser, he said Toyota diesels are self-adjusting. Hence nothing to service. Is that true?

I had my 1HZ valves done last week and Im pretty sure the 1HD T are done the same way. They are supposed to be checked every 40000klms I think. However most seem to think thats overkill.
They are done by adding or removing various sized shims until the clearance is correct.
So you need to find someone that has access to the shims and the conversion page in the FSM.

How about those diesel injection/calibration shops?
None of the ones I went to were interested in doing the valve adjustment.
I went to a engine rebuilder because he had a full set of shims in stock.

thanks rosco fj73

to all 1HDT owners: any inputs on the valve clearance schedules: ever 40K? I already have 120k on the odo - 20 of which from the time we owned the rig. I should be doing the valve clearance adjustments by this time, right?

Can you post the specs/conversion pages in your FSM for the valve clearances as well as other 1HDT diesel maintenance tasks? I dont have the FSM - still waiting for my Max Ellery manual to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom