Valve adj. questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Have some questions about adj valves. Fisrt is how do you know when to do it.

Over the last few weeks I have herd talk of people doing it with the engine running. Now this just does not sound possible, if not a little messy.

I have been told to do it while the engine is hot. How about cold, I know there are certin clearence values that one would use a feeler gauge to adj the valves. Is there a table of values for a cold engine?

Do you turn the engine over by hand and just work your war thru all the valves? Do you want there to be any "lift" on the lifters or you want them bottomed out?

Anyone have pictures.

If I forgot to say, this is on a 3F-E.

yes adj. the valves when the engine is at operating temp, and not running check the service manual for the proper clearances, identify the intake and exhuast valves as they have different clearances, when I adjust the valves it is usually during a complete tune up, pull the spark plugs , turn the engine over by hand and adjust each cylinder when it is at Top Dead Center(TDC) for that cylinder, it is much easier to turn the engine over by hand (use a socket and rachet) when the plugs are removed. do this for each cylinder , follow the the firing order to save time, use flat feeler gauges ,not a wire gauge you would use for spark plugs, to tell if the cylinder is at TDC both valves will be closed and the piston will be at the top of its stroke , hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom