rack-and -pinion on 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just brain storming and wanted others thoughts. Would you, or should I say could you mount a rack-and-pinion stiringunit from a IFS to the back of a solid axel and have a viable working system?

More unsprung weight, more hoses down low to snag, generally not a lot of power, reduced clearance between the oil pan and the axle/steering assembly, less stout than just about every other type of steering system, and one hell of a slip joint on the steering column.

I've seen it tried a couple of times. Real hacks. Bad idea IMHO.

Mark...

haha i actually though tof this and asked a professional about it one time and he said no problem it can be done...

your gonna have alot of bumpsteer

basically it would be a horrible ride.

I would only give it a shot if you had the money to waist and were only gonna drive it on the street... even then i wouldn't

i actually researched it and people are saying engeneers are trying to fit a rack and pinion system onto semi trucks in the future. who knows

In a car it mounts to the subframe between the front suspention. I don't know where you would mount it on a 40. With the amount of axel travel you would have to mount it high enough not to get hit by the axle which would be too high to avoid bump steer not to mention the toe in changing with axel movment. I looked at some of the power R/P units sold by Summit and at first look you think it's goint to clean up all the linkages in the front of a 40 but then I think where you going to hang it, I'm probably wrong but I don't think it will work on an axle.

Kevin

With a live axle, you would have to mount it to the axle itself. But it really won't work there either.

R+P simply is not a realistic approach for an off road rig with a solid front axle.

Mark...

With a live axle, you would have to mount it to the axle itself. But it really won't work there either.

Yup. No way to connect the column to the R&P if it's mounted on the axle and no way to connect from the R&P to the knuckles if it's mounted to the frame [edit: and still get any articulation].

The key to R&P steering is that the steering link geometry is very similar to the A-arm geometry, so when the A-arms travel, the steering travels with it without causing bump steer.

Last edited:
Like this :lol:
scary168.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom