bosch icon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im thinking about replacing my bosch micro edge excel wipers with the icons. ive heard that the bosch icons might be a little short for lx. should i go one more size up or get the 20" that is listed as the correct size? thanks.

also, what is bon ami? ive heard of using it to clean the windshield but dont know where i can get it. thanks/.

Last edited:
Bon Ami -- it's a powder cleanser like Comet or Ajax only it won't scratch glass like the other 2 will. I think their motto is "Never scratched, never will". You should be able to find it at most grocery stores in their kitchen/laundry soap isle.

http://www.bonami.com/history/

Good to know that about Bon Ami. For cleaning bugs off of front-facing surfaces (including glass) I've always had good luck with those potscrubbing sponges that have the white mesh around them. They work great and don't scratch. You can use some lighter fluid to loosen the bugs if need be.

alright thanks guys.

Good to know that about Bon Ami. For cleaning bugs off of front-facing surfaces (including glass) I've always had good luck with those potscrubbing sponges that have the white mesh around them. They work great and don't scratch. You can use some lighter fluid to loosen the bugs if need be.

DJ, I wouldn't use this stuff on your paint or anything but glass. If you have a stainless bumper WITHOUT clearcoat, then maybe since it will be like cleaning your sink but this cleanser should only be used on glass or non-painted surfaces.

Just cause it don't scratch, doesn't mean it won't buff the paint right off something. Use a cleaner/wax for stuff other than your windshield.

An idea I used for bugs is either Goof-Off or soak the bugs under a warm towel for 20mins and they will come right off. Works on the delicate finishes of my motorcycles and helmets and doesn't hurt the finish at all.

Good luck!

DJ, I wouldn't use this stuff on your paint or anything but glass. If you have a stainless bumper WITHOUT clearcoat, then maybe since it will be like cleaning your sink but this cleanser should only be used on glass or non-painted surfaces.

Just cause it don't scratch, doesn't mean it won't buff the paint right off something. Use a cleaner/wax for stuff other than your windshield.

An idea I used for bugs is either Goof-Off or soak the bugs under a warm towel for 20mins and they will come right off. Works on the delicate finishes of my motorcycles and helmets and doesn't hurt the finish at all.

Good luck!

Are you talking about Bon Ami or the sponges?

As for the sponges, I've used these for years and they don't hurt anything, even clearcoat. I worked at a few dealerships when I was in high school and college detailing cars, and these are what we always used. The lighter fluid is a bit heavy-handed, but it works, especially on road tar (it's just an organic solvent). I'd agree with water for the bugs.

Also, please understand that I'm talking about the sponges with the soft mesh covering (like an old football jersey), NOT anything abrasive like a scotchbrite, which I would never use on paint or glass. And I'd be a bit nervous about using Bon Ami on anything but the glass.

Back to wipers, Rain-X now has a line of wipers using the same (or similar) idea as Bosch Icons. For those of you in Pacific NW who need new blades, Fred Meyer has them at buy-one-get-one till mid-March IIRC.

The fitment guide says '01 LX470 uses 21" passenger side, 22" driver side. This is what I bought. I got home and measured the current passengers blade at 23.5" so I went back to the store and exchanged my 21" to a 22" (there was no 23" blade to be found). I now use twin 22" blades and they wipe very nicely.

BTW, the "wiper wing" aerodynamic thingy on the OEM driver side blade cannot be transferred and attached to the new blade. It is riveted to the OEM blade.

-Cal

Well the Icons are soposed to be somewhat of a wing themselves no?

Icon! They are sweet!

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/WiperBlades/Icon

dsc06478-209_525.jpg

library---13699-143_525.jpg

tom, that 2nd picture looks like it should be on the Bosch packaging, it doesnt show the T symbol which bosch wouldnt want to do. Awesome picture!

hey, what sizes did you buy for your wipers? i went to the store and they're computer didnt have a listing for the bosch icon for eitehr a landcruiser or lx470. when i went to look at the wipers, there were two types: a and b. also, i heard that sometimes the wipers can run a little shorter in length than what the packaging says. did you have a problem with that? thanks.

I forgot what size I got. I will measure them tonight. If there is a A/B then I think the B goes on the passenger side as it has more curvature.

ok thanks man. i was just wondering because i on another post in this forum someone said he bought the correct size for his truck and they seemed shorter. im not sure whether to buy one size up. do you guys think a 21" will fit in place of the 20" in lx? also, for the rear, i know they dont make 16", so should i buy the 17a or b? thanks again for the help.

ok thanks man. i was just wondering because i on another post in this forum someone said he bought the correct size for his truck and they seemed shorter. im not sure whether to buy one size up. do you guys think a 21" will fit in place of the 20" in lx? also, for the rear, i know they dont make 16", so should i buy the 17a or b? thanks again for the help.

Mine look perfect and I can't imagine going longer as it would hit the paint off the glass on the top portion of the windshield.

"would hit the paint off the glass on the top portion of the windshield" what paint on the windshield are you talking about?

Mine look perfect and I can't imagine going longer as it would hit the paint off the glass on the top portion of the windshield.

alright thanks. it seemed to me that an inch wouldnt make much of a difference (technically its 1/2 inch on each side of the wiper arm attachment).

"would hit the paint off the glass on the top portion of the windshield" what paint on the windshield are you talking about?

Where the glass meets the roof. See my picture above.

alright thanks. it seemed to me that an inch wouldnt make much of a difference (technically its 1/2 inch on each side of the wiper arm attachment).

I measured the driver side at 24 inches and the passenger at 22 inches. I had the guy at autozone look them up when I bought them. I think one of them is a B series? Not sure so you should check before you buy.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom