What diesel engine comes with new Cruisers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm in Guatemala right now and am going diesel engine shopping tomorrow with my Spanish teacher/interpreter. I spoke with one mechanic who was telling me I could get a 2000-2004 Land Cruiser diesel engine for about $3-4K. I'm trying to figure out what model that would be. Anybody know offhand?

Thanks!

Yup .. I thought as same as here in Panamá

80 series you can get 1HZ ( 4.2 nat aspirated, IDI ) engine .. or 1HD-T 4.2 Turbo DI.

From a Prado ( 120 ) you can get 1KZ-T or 1KZ-TE ( last one electronic controled injection .. but nothing to worry much about it ) much of those engines here in Panamá with head problems ..

Thanks guys. I´m not sure if the particular engine that the mechanic was mentioning was turbo. So I should stay away from the Prado KZ engines?
I understand the HZ engines are good but come with only around 130 base horse power. Seems like the 1HD-T is still the holy grail of Toyota diesels. Were those only in older (80 series) Cruisers? I´ll see what I can find tomorrow. Wish me luck. Any other suggestions/info would be appreciated!

Mark

Thanks guys. I´m not sure if the particular engine that the mechanic was mentioning was turbo. So I should stay away from the Prado KZ engines?
I understand the HZ engines are good but come with only around 130 base horse power. Seems like the 1HD-T is still the holy grail of Toyota diesels. Were those only in older (80 series) Cruisers? I´ll see what I can find tomorrow. Wish me luck. Any other suggestions/info would be appreciated!

Mark

The 1HD T were in 80series until 95? and then came the 1HD FT and then the 1HD FTE

Mark

In my experience here in PTY 1KZ-T engines are awesome .. but I don't buy any if I don't know the life of this engine .. ( no matter 1HZ / 1HD-T / 1KZ-T ) but the KZ engines come with those head problems .. so if you have time and source of parts ( and is a good deal in price ) go for it ..

1HD-T are de faw*** best engine Toyota ever build .. ( IMOP ) but usually the owner of those engines don't know or care about turbo diesel engines, in fact and for this reason the 1HZ are more " safety " deal ..

Stock 1HZ and HD-T engines from factory with no mods are ready to pull up the EGT more than 1300 - 1400 ºF easy .. no mods ! but the oweners never know that ( about EGT or the fact you can burn the pistons ) the fill the tank and go ..

It means after years you find 1HZ / 1HD-T engines running pretty hard .. but with turbos with leaks .. broken pre cups .. rings injectors .etc .. all can be renuilded .. but it means money to do a nice job ..

Well, looks like the best deal of the day was a 1998 13BT with 5 spd tranny installed for $4500-5000. The place I went today didn't have any super sexy diesel engines like the 1HDT but I'll do some more research tomorrow. I think the price they quoted me is decent but seems like for a couple thousand more dollars I could have the conversion done in the good old U.S. of A.

How's the 13BT compare to the 2F in terms of power? I know the horsepower and torque numbers are similar but I'm wondering if the diesel factor gives the 13BT more grunt.

The 13B-T has lots of 'grunt' and about 2x the MPG of the petrol engines. The performance is equal or better than many 6cyl or V8 gassers. Some claim it's the best engine Toyota ever made.

The 13B-T has lots of 'grunt' and about 2x the MPG of the petrol engines. The performance is equal or better than many 6cyl or V8 gassers. Some claim it's the best engine Toyota ever made.

ditto .. are the best engines ever build .. but obiusly less power than a 6 banger !

You meant 1989 right?

No, the sales guy definitely said 1998, in fact he wrote it down. I saw the engine laying in their warehouse and it looked like it was in good condition but I don't know how to verify the year or if 13BT's were even made in 1998. The sales guy didn't know what vehicle it came from or how many miles it had on it but offered to start the motor for me and offered a 30 day guarantee on parts and labor. The store was cool, just a giant warehouse full of engines and transmissions. He also had a 2B there for half the price.

So sounds like the consensus is that the 13BT is a good engine? I thought it was closer to the bottom of people's wishlists for diesels....

Last edited:
The bottom??? Nah....just depends on what vehicle you plan on putting it in.
I wouldn't put one in an 80 series, but 40 and 70 series why not?
The "B" family still powered the Mega Cruiser....so don't dismiss it too quickly....even thought a 15 and a 13 are quite different in the head.

The "Mega Cruiser"??

This would be going into a loaded fj60...

The 13BT is only towards the bottom for folks here because they haven't driven one in a 60. I put one in my 60 and it's great. A LOT more fun to drive than the 2F was (better low end-grunt for sure). It WILL be louder and create more vibration than your 2F, so be prepared.

Not obviously true in every case. The 13B-T outperforms the H & 2H from my comparison.

Mmmmm not other 3B vs 2H war .. you will keep your books and I mines :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom