Starter will not dissengage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I searched "starters" and could not find my specific problem. Our starter has been acting weird lately (see below).Last night, after starting it, the starter was still whirling. I turned it off, and the starter was still turning over. I pulled the key OUT, and it was STILL turning the motor over. :mad:

I pulled the fuse marked "main" in the hood fusebox. STILL cranking over :crybaby: . So I pulled the battery and finally it quit. I gave it a few mins, reconnected the battery, and the starter was trying again. We had to drive it about 3 mins with the starter whirling.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Frank

Starter contacts. Very common problem... There are many here on this board that have experienced this issue, myself included. You can get a new plunger and starter contacts from CDan for $36 I think. I just ordered mine and will hopefully be doing it this weekend.

Would the contacts make is stay engaged even with the key out? I know how to work on motorcycles, but I have little experience with vehicles. Is this a pretty simple job, or more involved?

Thanks for the info. :beer:

Frank

Also, I forgot to mention. My dash lights came on as if it was the ignition switch, and not just isolated at the starter. Does that mean anything, or still the starter contacts?

Also, I forgot to mention. My dash lights came on as if it was the ignition switch, and not just isolated at the starter. Does that mean anything, or still the starter contacts?

Speedy,

If you can wrench bikes the Cruiser will be easy enough to adapt to. There is a thread here on the 80 forum for FSM download. $10, and about 30 minutes of your time gets you a full field service manual on disc, in PDF format. Really a must have.

The starter is a 1 to 2 hour job soup to nuts, max. The FSM will help.

Many do the PHH same time, with about $15 in parts. Also, there are enough people on here all the time to give you real time help if you need it.

Dive in, the water's fine.:D

D

Yes, don't drive it till you fix it. You have a fire hazard on your hands because the starter is hard wired to the battery. Consequences can include a fried starter, battery, alternator, and possibly a vehicle fire.

It is definitely the starter contacts, that is what happens when it is stuck on. Check the FAQ for the starter R&R, ~$20 and just need a socket set and preferabbly an extension or two and a wobble or u-joint for the socket wrench. Shouldn't take more than an hour or so. Get it replaced soon, if you don't get the batt disconnected in time, you might start an engine fire.

Cool. We only drove it for a few mins to get it into the garage so we can work on it. I disconnected the battery ASAP, so that is cool.

I need to call C-Dan and get the parts. Is a complete starter replacement a lot of $$$?

Also, what is the PHH that I should do at the same time?

This is good info, please keep it coming.

Frank

you can also search and get almost all of this immediately...it has all be discussed over 100 times :)

Toyota charges in the neighborhood of $280 for a starter. Knock a hundred off that at a parts chain. Contacts and plunger will usually run you under $50 from Toyota.

-Spike

not a hard job, just tight on space, once you get the starter out its a piece of cake

as mentioned, common problem and a risk of fire

that's why I put in a quick disconnect at the battery so I can turn it off in a couple of secs if need be

(search with "starter stuck" in 80 forum revealed 77 threads... :) )

Frank - do not run the cruiser again until you've replaced the contacts, etc on that starter! You run the very real risk of frying your alternator as well. No need to ask me how I know!

I had it happen to me when I owned a 94 80 series.

the starter plunger/contacts got stuck on, it fried the alternator...most of the dash lights came on...

either replace the contacts or the entire starter.
if you get a new starter, keep the old one and replace the contacts at your leisure. you'll find plenty of threads on this if you search.

it tends to happen between 80 and 120 thousand miles...from what I've noticed...

Cool. We only drove it for a few mins to get it into the garage so we can work on it. I disconnected the battery ASAP, so that is cool.

I need to call C-Dan and get the parts. Is a complete starter replacement a lot of $$$?

Also, what is the PHH that I should do at the same time?

This is good info, please keep it coming.

Frank

I believe the starter is around $260 :frown:

Sorry I started a NEW thread on something that appears to be an old issue. I just searched "starter" and I waded through stuff and didn't find it, oops.

I am going to pull the starter off this weekend and give it a shot myself.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom