Garrett VATN , VTN , VNT turbo's ???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey,

I am one lucky boy , just won the auction on ebay for a good 2nd hand Garret GT25 VATN ( variable Aperture ) turbo . wahooo got it so cheap thats its not funny too .

Just wondering if anyone has one of these babys under their Bonnet , or maybe the larger version behind a dodge ram cummins ,etc ???

I just have to find another GT25 VATN to go on my toyota 13BT that i will be building some time soon , a pair under the landcruiser SWB bonnet .

with a controller, it has one with it - there are different types . ones a boost or vaccum based one thats looks a bit similar to a wastegate actuater - i hear, the other ones are electronic based . work out good as was thinkn i of runn'n a supercharger aswell as a turbo as want the lower end power aswell , well this VATN acts like both of them . ther are bigger ones around , they are really hard to get & very $$$$. just have to find another and will run a pair .

when i get it , i will take a photo of the guts of it and upload it here .

what did come they off of? my understanding is variable vane is more of an emissions related thing, not really performance enhancement.
They get turfed for big singles or twins on the dodge,chevy trucks not that you`ll
likely chase those big numbers on a 13bt:rolleyes:
Can get big numbers doing single turbo proper without messing with a s/c.

to find a VNT suitable for something as big as a performance 13BT you will have to look at the medium-duty truck engines, the one found on the late hd-fte might work for you but it might be hard to source. $$$$ like you said. A downsized VNT is going to be pathetic. Like diesel junkie said they are indeed kind of an emissions device. The new smoke and emissions reg. don't allow as much thermodynamical spoolup quickener at low revs (fuel) so the gemoetrical quickener is needed. In theory they bring best of both worlds but the cost and hassle are not often worth it in the real world. I tried a VNT17 on a 2LT, long story short next time I'll be looking at a VNT25 or CT26 :D
If you want to make something really wild go dual-stage I say. You're not going to squeeze anything above 25psi efficiently from any single-stage anyway.

If you want to make something really wild go dual-stage I say. You're not going to squeeze anything above 25psi efficiently from any single-stage anyway.

Ditto !

Actually the 1KD-FTV from New Hi Lux and Fortuner have a electronical controled VV turbo ... it means the ECU controls the aperture for Turbo vanes acording with rpm .. controling the boost in the throtle at low rpms .. so no waste diesel at any time ..

But The turbo have a little electric motor that really move the vanes in the turbo exhaust housing ..

IMOP 2 stages setup are the best option .. with no electronical stuff to contro nothing .. :D

well i have looked up several sites ( Ray hall , etc )inquiering about certain size for a stock 13Bt and most say a garrett Gt25 . i am planning on running a pair, so i should have more than enough. also i will dropping my comp ratio down to handle more boost , reason why a VNT would be very beneficial as want boost early like a supercharger . I have heard of people mofifying them by replacing the core with a ball bearing section , etc - spool up even faster

Not much predetonation risk in diesel so comp ratio should be ok.
Wouldnt worry about low down boost, not like a gasser!

As far as low down boost goes , i was more looking at snappy power from just off idle , power comes on in most diesels as the turbo creates enough air flow or boost - but at the same time , need more than enough flow up top for this diesel aswell , hence why i am searching for another "VNT" - a pair of worked GT25 VNT's is ample for this build !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom