weber carb upgrade. good/bad?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 73 fj-40 with the stock f-engine, minus the smog gear, plus a header, pertronix.
Runs good enough, but considering upgrading to a 32/36 weber carb setup.
Not a daily driver, but a weekend excursion rig and playtoy. Would like to have more power without doing the v-8 swap.
I have heard good things about this settup, but not ready to go there yet.
Any pros, cons on this mild upgrade??
Im sure some of you are running this settup. Let me know what you think.
Thanks, Rob.

I agree. Stay with the stock carb. Works the best with the stock engine. Great in most all off road conditions. Had a holley on my '71 and went back to stock and was much better. Have a webber on my '78 and am going back to stock. A properly running stock carb will do all you ask it to...

My 79 had a weber 38/38 on it when I bought it, and I purchased a new one shortly afterwards. It's a good carb for street use and some mild off road stuff, but it doesn't like steep angles. I've had mine stall out quite a few times climbing stuff, and at times it's been a bit hairy getting it started again. My truck was converted to a cable linkage, so going back to stock may be tricky for me. But I never had any issues with the stock carb on the 77 I had.

A 32/36 Weber carb is a down grade. This carb is sometimes swapped on the 22R 4 cyl engine. The stock Toyota Aisin is a 38/40.

the 32/36 is offered as a fuel mizer option... I prefer the 38/38... did a yard survey of 43 cruisers and 11 had webers... here is 3... 32/36s ...webers are very popular in my area....
SD801021 (Custom).JPG
SD801022 (Custom).JPG
SD801023 (Custom).JPG

Ok. All good points.
If I do decide to get one , from where would be best??
I have bought parts from all the major LC parts places, some are better than others. Not only on price, but service as well.
Thoughts??

like trollhole said, send it to JimC or Marks offroad for a rebuild.

as PinHead pointed out, the stock carb is Bigger than the weber powerwise.

if you can't have your truck sitting waiting for a rebuild, get a used carb in the for sale section and send it off or see if JimC has one.

I have a weber on my 40 and it works much better than the rochester that was on there but I'd rather have an aisin on it. At some point I will.

Webers wear out. Went back to stock on mine. Did a good rebuild and rebushed the throttle shaft. Put the correct jets in and had more power than the weber ever did. Just a band-aid for a poor Aisin needing maintenance.

Ok. I do have a spare carb from the same year engine. The only difference I can see is that it has a couple extra pieces of linkage on it. Dont remember exactly, have to dig it out and look.
What does a carb rebuild from the mentioned places run??
Rob.

Ok. I do have a spare carb from the same year engine. The only difference I can see is that it has a couple extra pieces of linkage on it. Dont remember exactly, have to dig it out and look.
What does a carb rebuild from the mentioned places run??
Rob.

Pm JimC, he might give a quote. And from what I hear, its worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom