Shackles yes or no......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Shackles yes or no.........WITH PICS NOW

I know I'll get schooled for this, but I am going to put 37" or 38" tires on my rig when the SO is finished. The mechanic wants to get rid of the 4" shackles and stock leaf springs I have on my rig now and get me some downey springs that have a higher arc. He says that the shackes make it less stable and it is better for the springs to be mounted directly to the frame. My questions are:

Is this true?
Will my ride be much stiffer with these high arced springs?

Thanks

M

Last edited:
Well one end can be attached to the frame directly.......but not both ends:D
You usually run longer shackles with lift springs so they can flex more. Not necessary is you go SOA.
And, yes, as a general proposition, a higher arched spring will ride rougher.

I know I'll get schooled for this, but I am going to put 37" or 38" tires on my rig when the SO is finished. The mechanic wants to get rid of the 4" shackles and stock leaf springs I have on my rig now and get me some downey springs that have a higher arc. He says that the shackes make it less stable and it is better for the springs to be mounted directly to the frame. My questions are:

Is this true?
Will my ride be much stiffer with these high arced springs?

Thanks

M

THis is either crazy talk or you got things confused. You cannot mount both ends of the spring directly to the frame. You need the shackle since the length of the spring changes with compression. And I would not use lift springs on a spring over, at least not at first. I saw a guy here in Sacramento did a spring over 40 on at least 2 1/2 inch lift springs, and it looked dangerous.

I have also seen a spring over 40 on OME 2 1/2 with 37 inch tires and it was very tall, but did OK.

Drive the stock spring spring over a bit before you decide to use taller springs. I don't think you'll need to.

Run your stock springs with stock shackles with the springover.

When the springs de-arch, put in a full-length add a leaf.

If you decide you want more lift after the springover (why?) new springs are easy to do...

Is this true? Will my ride be much stiffer with these high arced springs?

Yes, especially if you do not have a shackle on one end of the spring.

Stock springs and shackles will work fine with a SO.

Here's a side view so you can see my stance (its on a slight hill and camera is tilted to compensate):
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/ctenosaura/MyFJside.jpg

Here is the front shackle:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/ctenosaura/MyFJ003.jpg

Here is the rear:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/ctenosaura/MyFJ002.jpg

Question?
Are these not the stock shackles? If these are longer than stock, will that still not have any bearing on whether the rig will be less stable?
Would you do the SO and keep these shackles? I personally would like to keep my stock leafs. Thanks again.

M

Not stock. They look like con-ferr to me but I could be wrong. Extended shackles change the camber and thus change how the vehicle steers, that's probably what he's talking about.
Anyway, I thought the con-ferrs were good for chewing up the shoulders of the bushings, so you may want to loose them at some point regardless. As far as running them on SOA, I would probably go stock length but it probably doesn't matter if they are a little longer, and you want a little more lift for some reason.

Once you get it SOA you'll be trying to find ways to get it more stable. Either wider or lower or even longer. Stay away from lift springs ontop of the axle. Stock shackles with stock spring SOA work just fine.

spring it over, run stock leafs until they flatten, call man a fre and order their long version add a leafs and throw them in, get some strap metal and drill some holes and make your own shackles, they will flex better than any aftermarket shackle.

Noah

When you say "lift springs", you are refering to the after market downey springs? Thanks

M
Just looked at your pics. Those springs have ALOT of arch. They really look like lift springs. Do you have the stock flat ones? Those shackles definitely are lift ones...look like downey or manafree or whats ...yah, they look like confers lift shackles. They probably work fine with the amount of arch in your current springs. If you go SOA with stock flat springs then you could probably easily swap in some stock length shackles (make your own is easiest).

In regards to your Q...I think you already have lift springs on that thing...could be wrong...just my guess from this vantage point.:)

Thanks Gup, I was hoping you would give your opinion. The strap metal idea is great. Extra pinch of fish food for you tonight! And to answer tankota, I don't have any extra parts, thats the way I bought it. I think I'll just do the SO with what I have.

M

That's how most of us get started...with what we got :) .
If it's too tall you'll probably have an easy time swapping springs to someone who wants to stay spring under.
Shackles are easy to make. All you need is a drill and hacksaw(preferably a sawzall;) ). You can probably even sell those shackles if you decided to. Good luck with your project.:)

Thanks Gup, I was hoping you would give your opinion. The strap metal idea is great. Extra pinch of fish food for you tonight! And to answer tankota, I don't have any extra parts, thats the way I bought it. I think I'll just do the SO with what I have.

M

sure thing, I would try to figure out if those springs you have are stock or not, the rears look arched quite a bit but it could just be the angle/pic. Get rid of those shackles you have on there and just make some of your own, easier and you can pic the length exactly how you want it, plus cheap. There are a few posts on here that state how long they should be. All you need is a drill press, chop saw and some metal. 2 simple straps will allow the vehicle to flex and move much more and won't tear up your bushings as quick as those conferr ones. The man a fre add a leafs work well and break in nicely. They give some needed boost to the stock springs for carrying loads but not so much that they make it a jarring ride. I plan to use them again here in the future when I swap in some FJ55 springs in the rear. Plus again, cheap and to me cheap is good. I can measure my shackles if you need me to. Hope that helps some....

Noah

35 mtr's......

wish I had gone 37's though, eventually, but 35's are safer for onroad, as i need to drive to the trial for right now, eventually when I get a trailer I will go with 37's, I think I could probably fit 37's right now no problem with minimal rubbing....

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom