Different Diesel from different stations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there any difference from the diesel coming out of Shell or Mohawk or Chevron?

I know for gasoline, the gas is basically coming from the same pipeline for most of the gas stations, just the additives are different.

is this the case for diesel too? Which gas station's diesel gives the most additives?

or are they all the same?

stick to the busy ones. when the fuel sits in the tanks for too long it gathers water. quick turnover means fresh fuel.

Of course it is. Diesel fuel varies considerably by brand, region and time of year. Diesel is as variable as toilet paper.

Any recommendations for good diesel places?

I have a Mohawk, a Shell, Superstore that offer diesel in my area.

straight from the mouth of one of my buddies who's an mech. engineer for a major fuel company (I won't say which one just for Privacy sake) but all fuel in major cities in Canada comes from the same source. Even for gasoline, regular, mid and premium are all the same fuel, just with different octane boosting agents. Ie. If shell/esso buys a whole ton of fuel in Edmonton, the other companies will buy from them and just put in their own additives. But yes, with diesel, get it fresh because condensation will form and turn into water, and then sludge will form.

Best are cardlocks in industrial areas. I go to one that all the logging trucks etc go to.

I feel diesel is diesel( types aside). I have run diesel max, and other brands. I have not been able to "feel" or see a difference in MPG.

It's just marketing IMOP

Best are cardlocks in industrial areas. I go to one that all the logging trucks etc go to.

I feel diesel is diesel( types aside). I have run diesel max, and other brands. I have not been able to "feel" or see a difference in MPG.

It's just marketing IMOP

How about the amount of additives for lubricants? Are they the same amount too?

How about the amount of additives for lubricants? Are they the same amount too?

Well I am just guessing.. But I would say the new ULSD would be a standard formula they all run.

It's possible there is a difference..... But I somehow doubt it.

I have little faith in fuel companies. Sorry. I have heard the bulk buys for years. SO I feel they are all getting the same batch. Which is the formula.

I still like to add my own lubrication additives.

ULSD Specification

ASTM D975-04c Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils has been adopted by all States. Similar standards exist in Canada and Europe. from: http://www.cppi.ca/ULSD_Q_A_s.html Q18. Because the process of removing sulphur from diesel tends to reduce lubricity, what is being done to adjust for this problem? A: Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from excessive wear. The processing required to reduce sulphur to 15 ppm also tends to remove naturally occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change, the Canadian General Standards Board has a lubricity specification defined in CAN/CGSB-3.517 for all diesel fuel that has been in effect for many years (in the U.S. the equivalent standard is ASTM D975 as issued by ASTM International). If a fuel lacks sufficient lubricity, suppliers add lubricity additives to ULSD, or to the RSD, to ensure that it meets the required lubricity specification when dispensed at the retail pump. This approach has been used successfully in Europe since the late 1990s. Q19. How do I know that the lubricity additive works? Is it expected to meet certain standards for effectiveness? If so, what are they? A: All diesel fuel, including ULSD, needs to meet the lubricity specifications defined in the Canadian General Standards Board CAN/CGSB-3.517. The lubricity specification can be met based on any one of five test methods, including the High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR) test (D 6079) which requires a wear scar no larger than 460 microns (which is more stringent than the ASTM D975 specification of 520 microns).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom