Flat Nasty FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.markocustoms.com
Here's the first of the two build threads I introduced last week.

The will be one of Flat Nasty ORP's trail rigs. It was orginally an Arizona FJ but lived in MI until moving to it's present home in Salem, MO at Flat Nasty ORP. This 40 has served as a trail rig since Ron purchased it in its stock form and was first Comp Rig in the late ninties. As all rigs due over time it too has involved and involved.

What lays in store for this FJ40?

We been discussing what to do to revive it every few weekends since it went out of service over a year ago. A now it's time to get it back on line and out on the trails were it belongs.

Here's the great part about this build. It's mainly being built from spare parts and left-overs from years of various builds from full on comp chassis, trail rigs and work trucks.

Here's the specs at the present time:

-408 Tuned port Chevy with way too much HP
-TH 400
-FJ 60 T-Case
-FJ 60 Frt 4.88 ARB NewFields, Leaf sprung
-FJ 60 Rear 4.88 Welded, 1/4 Elipical 4 link
-Hydro assist
-95ish WB

CJFJ.JPG

feb%2026%202007%20025%20%28Small%29.jpg

feb%2026%202007%20014%20%28Small%29.jpg

What, I'd refer to as a true reverse rotation........

Enjoy the build I'll update it every few days, feel free to ask any questions along the way.

-John

looking fowrad to this build, what size tires you got on there?

Expected finish around late spring early summer. There's alot of changes coming.

Now 38.5 SX, when its rolls out of the shop, 39.5 PitBulls.....

You once here the sound of exploding Birfs, that area is on the build as well.

Now 38.5 SX, when its rolls out of the shop, 39.5 PitBulls.....

Pitbulls nice selection ..

I thought the auto tranny help you in the birf issue :D

Cool, happy to see it get back on it's feet.I liked that rig.

Well, the birfs will be eliminated and here's how:

Take one D 50 from a 2000 F250??? not really sure.

Remove its outers, a couple hours on the bridgeport, another on the lathe, a section of 3" x.375 DOM and a media blasted 40 frt.

Combine and you get a Toy/60 Hybrid.....

Here's some in progress pics:

feb%2018%202007%20060%20%28Small%29%20%282%29.jpg

feb%2018%202007%20059%20%28Small%29%20%282%29.jpg

feb%2026%202007%20028%20%28Small%29.jpg

You going to weld up & redrill for a 6 lug hub or just use wheel adapters? Will you not be able to run 35 spline throughout? I'm in the middle of my hybrid front & that's what I'm doing. I knew that D60 inner seal wouldn't fit inside the LC housing. Lookin good so far!

Turn and redrill, 8 on 160mm to 6 on 5.5". Yep you have to weld, surface, and redrill. It not as bad as the 5/6 on 5.5 to the older 8 on 6.5. I'll do a mini-build photo when I get to that part.

so let's say i've got this friend that doesn't quite understand what all's goin on with the hybrid axle, ha ha...maybe you could it explain it to him (me)?

It's basically putting the Spicer D50/D60 Ball Joint style outers on a FJ center chunk. The basic things that need to be possible for this thing to work is:

inner axle seals and surfaces
hubs drilled to fit 6 lug
shafts shortened
splines matched up
caliber brackets

Here the size difference for the steering joints: Mini/LC Birf, D60 (center), D44.

D60xx%20002.jpg

c%20j%20001.jpg

Here's a D44/D60 with the more desirable King-Pins.

I'm curious.....If you invest the time and effort (=$$) to build a hybrid, why would you put ball joint outers on it instead of kingpins?

I'm curious as to why do this when you have only 30 spline axles? Seems to me if you don't do 35 all the way out it's not really cost effective or beneficial cuz Bobby's 30 spline superset is proven to be stonger than the "stock" 35 spline stub. So, was this envisioned to be a knuckle upgrade only? I'd even question the strength of those BJ knuckles to the LC knuckles w/ ARP stud kit.

I'm curious as to why do this when you have only 30 spline axles? Seems to me if you don't do 35 all the way out it's not really cost effective or beneficial cuz Bobby's 30 spline superset is proven to be stonger than the "stock" 35 spline stub. So, was this envisioned to be a knuckle upgrade only? I'd even question the strength of those BJ knuckles to the LC knuckles w/ ARP stud kit.

The axle will run 35 splines soon, no real question there. It just may run on the 30s for a couple of months that's all.

As for the Super sets, I'd still take a stock D60 in the long run, 35 spline. I wheel with someone who on a regular basis pops them. I know what they test out at and their rep. I've also seen those and alot of other birfs on the trail on a regular basis almost every weekend in some cases more, and feel that the D60 steering joint is more reliable. I'm not posting this to start any debate just my honest opinion. Wheel what ever steering joint you feel fits your needs. This FJ has ran them all, it's like walking on egg shells with birfs.

It is ball joint because that was what was in the scrap pile and we put it to use instead of throwing it out.

Last edited:
Why build a hybrid when Ron has a D60 in his "junk pile". Can't wait to see more of the build , I'll have to stop by after the club meeting on Sat.

We got plans for those, just not sure quite what they are YET.

OK it not quit a junk "junk pile" more of a " extra parts, how can we use those, where can we put that, that would be fine there, how about for this, that 'd work pile"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom