Going All Over The Road! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well,

I just went to get my cruiser out of the shop today, and as I was driving it home, every time I would hit a little bit of slushy snow in the road, it would throw the front of the cruiser all over the place.. I know what it feels like to hydroplane, but this is way worse then I've ever felt. Could this just be a camber issue/allignment issue? I have it lifted with homemade shackles, about 2", and the sway bar endlinks are stock size. Also, My front shocks are completly shot, and very stiff. Every suspension component, minus the rear shocks are also as old as the cruiser itself. Any ideas?

I would lift it and check all the bolts. Springs, shocks, tie-rod ends, anything I could touch under it.

Sounds like tie rods. If you confirm thats at least part of the problem I've heard you can upgrade to 80 series tie rod ends....just something to think about.
Toad

I've had them on about 2+ years, but it just started doing this... I never had a problem with it before...

What did you have the "shop" do and did it never do it before they got their hands on it?

Well, I had the shop weld one of my motor mounts back about 1/2" as I could'nt get the new motor to line up properly... I doubt they touched the suspension at all, and before I brought it into the shop, I had'nt driven it in quite a while...

Maybe this is a stupid question but had you ever driven your 60 in the snow/slush PRIOR to this point with the 32x11.5's on it?

Wider tires will often get 'grabbed' by the slush in those conditions as well as have a tendency to follow ruts. Put the two together and without a good steering stabilizer (sometimes even with a good one) the steering can get real squirrely.

Maybe this is a stupid question but had you ever driven your 60 in the snow/slush PRIOR to this point with the 32x11.5's on it?

Wider tires will often get 'grabbed' by the slush in those conditions as well as have a tendency to follow ruts. Put the two together and without a good steering stabilizer (sometimes even with a good one) the steering can get real squirrely.

Good question. Yes, I have driven i in the slush and snow several times before, and it never seemed to do this... I just got a new ironman stabilizer, so I am sure that will help. You are right though, the tires are different then when I had the 30's on there... I also just found one of my sway bar end links to be loose.. Thanks

What kind of tires and how much tread? Wore out A/Ts don't like slush so well
Jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom