info needed for pads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry I have search but found nothing, please help. I bought a set of 1999/2000 tundra pads for my 93 landcruiser. I check them and they are the same length, but taller then the stock pads. Does anyone have any info on this such as a part # from toyota? I don't remember, was it the later year cruiser pad that I needed. I am going through stock pads every 8000 miles on the front. Thanks a bunch. Thanks.

Jeff

Sorry I have search but found nothing, please help. I bought a set of 1999/2000 tundra pads for my 93 landcruiser. I check them and they are the same length, but taller then the stock pads.
Jeff

Im confused a little by your statement. They are the same length but taller??? That is where you are loosing me. Also why would you buy tundra pads for a LC? Not positive but I would think they are two different parts altogether. We have had people here switch to 100 series pads for there 80's and that works but is only suggested if you are also going to swap out for new rotors at the same time. More information please.

Im confused a little by your statement. They are the same length but taller??? That is where you are loosing me. Also why would you buy tundra pads for a LC? Not positive but I would think they are two different parts altogether. We have had people here switch to 100 series pads for there 80's and that works but is only suggested if you are also going to swap out for new rotors at the same time. More information please.

I read somewhere that the tundra pad will fit. Maybe I screwed up and it is the 100 series cruiser pads that I needed. What year? Does anyone have a toyota part #. Thanks

Jeff

Yes, it's definitely 100 series pads. Somehow you got your memory wires crossed. I believe that all 100 series year models use the same pads. Contact Cdan, or your local shop, and order up some 100 series pads and rotors. The 100 series pads will NOT work with the OEM 80 series rotors.

Contact Cdan, or your local shop, and order up some 100 series pads and rotors. The 100 series pads will NOT work with the OEM 80 series rotors.

No I don't believe this is quite correct either. They will work with the 80 series rotors but you must order new due to the larger footprint of the 100 pad and it having a larger coverage area. Your previously used rotors already have an established footprint from the present pads and thus the 100 pads will not work properly with them. So 100 series pads with a new pair of 80 OEM rotors. Ask me how I know................;)

I stand corrected, must have my memory wires crossed as well. Thanks for the clarification. So if you are going to swap to 100 series pads, you definitely need new rotors and 80 series OEM will work. Can you actually use 100 series rotors?

No I don't believe this is quite correct either. They will work with the 80 series rotors but you must order new due to the larger footprint of the 100 pad and it having a larger coverage area. Your previously used rotors already have an established footprint from the present pads and thus the 100 pads will not work properly with them. So 100 series pads with a new pair of 80 OEM rotors. Ask me how I know................;)

Ok, how do you know? :D :D I don't have new rotors, what will happen? I am at the shop now and need to get pads, should I just forget about it and just get OEM 80's pads. killing me I can only get 7-8000 miles out of them. Thanks

Jeff

I stand corrected, must have my memory wires crossed as well. Thanks for the clarification. So if you are going to swap to 100 series pads, you definitely need new rotors and 80 series OEM will work. Can you actually use 100 series rotors?

100 series rotors are 5 lug not 6 lug.....won't work.

Ok, how do you know? :D :D I don't have new rotors, what will happen? I am at the shop now and need to get pads, should I just forget about it and just get OEM 80's pads. killing me I can only get 7-8000 miles out of them. Thanks

Jeff

I have 60K on my 100 series front pads and lots left, I dont use my brakes much though.

killing me I can only get 7-8000 miles out of them. Thanks

Jeff

Got about 25K on the 100 series pads and tons of pad life left. Looks like I'll get well over 50K out of them and I do a lot of mixed driving, but don't drive highly aggressively.

:beer:
Rookie2

So are new 80 rotors a good idea when i get these 100 series pads, and is there a certain year pad i should get? Im gonna do this too cause i go through pads like no other! was there any other hardware needed or will the stock 80 calipers handle the 100 pads? Just making sure i got it all right!
:shotts:

So are new 80 rotors a good idea when i get these 100 series pads, and is there a certain year pad i should get?
:shotts:

As reffug already explained very well in post #5, new rotors are the way to go.

The pad part number you want is 04465-60220.

???

Can someone (Dan?) put a picture together with an 80, 100 and Tundra pad side by side?

I like my 100 pads & new rotors. It made a very nice, "while I was there," mod with the front axle rebuild.

Caution: Modifying brakes on a daily driver is a crapshoot. If you want longer life 80 pads, ask Cdan - he knows the year Toyota made them better and your local dealer has no clue. Your local dealer may even hand you a set of aftermarket pads.

Increased surface area on the same piston/caliper means lower psi of the contact surface. Blah, blah. Your mileage may vary. I hereby challenge anyone with 100 series front pads to a braking contest. You'd be amazed how many tiny tuning changes a company like Toyota puts into their brakes to achieve a stopping distance. Believe me, if putting a larger pad area on the fronts would improve things they'd have done it. If you believe that putting larger pads de facto improves braking then you're smoking crack. Stick with stock brake parts from the factory that spent millions designing, testing and refining those specific parts.

Rant off...

DougM

I hereby challenge anyone with 100 series front pads to a braking contest.

Ok

I am all for measurement to get empirical data.

but how do we do that?

you would almost have to do that in one vehicle comparing braking effort and distance with one set of pads as compared to the same vehicle with another set of pads.

I know this is not what you are looking for but when an idiot driving an F150 pulls out in front of you it seams pretty easy to ramp braking into dry pavement ABS range using 100 series pads.

is there any more braking available than that?

As reffug already explained very well in post #5, new rotors are the way to go.

The pad part number you want is 04465-60220.

I wonder who explained it very well to reffug.......;)

As always Shaman thanks for the time.:cheers:

If you believe that putting larger pads de facto improves braking then you're smoking crack. Stick with stock brake parts from the factory that spent millions designing, testing and refining those specific parts.

Rant off...

DougM

I don't think people that switched to 100 series pads did it to improve braking, but rather for longer pad life since the pads are a little bigger area and thicker. There is no noticable difference (to me) in braking, one way or the other.

:beer:
Rookie2

another advantage to the 100 series pads is their additional (longer) lifespan. They're thicker than the 80 series pads, so...even if they don't stop better, they'll likely last longer.

FWIW, I installed 100 series pads on my 80 (a little over a year ago) without changing the rotor and have had no issues to date.

FWIW, I installed 100 series pads on my 80 (a little over a year ago) without changing the rotor and have had no issues to date.

Awwwwwwwww man your gonna be sorry you said that....................

Dan's probably pulling out his NorCalDoug doll as I type.:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom