To cut into a good tub, or not to cut (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm not at the point yet, but when it comes to a lift, I will have to make a decision..... cutting into it if I want a bigger lift. Right now I am stock with 31" tires. The tires are good so I will wait until I need to replace them. I cannot imagine being able to get the articulation without a good lift, which means the stock tub will need some modificaion. The tub is in excellent shape. Underneath it, there is no rust. The original engine, tranny, transfer case, differentials, everything, pretty much, no rust. Bought it to go offroading, but I know the value of what I have as it is. What does one do??????

Check out the pictures of me refilling the oil and see what I mean about underneath, the cleanliness of rust is amazing. Probably due to the 30years of no one maintaining it and the years thick of grease we (a friend helped me out) had to wipe away. The grease protected it. :bounce2:

See how clean it is under here?

attachment.php

how about I give you my rusted out tub for your nice one. That way, you won't feel bad!!!!

Don't laugh, but I thought of it.....Just about about a '70 FJ already for the Rubicon and backyard welded. Came with a military trailer and all. Instead thought I would post and see what other ideas are available.....I like D'Animals rig and will follow up soon.

Just about about a '70 FJ already for the Rubicon and backyard welded. Came with a military trailer and all.

Blue spring-over with a ford motor? It's been making the CL rounds for a couple months. Cheap ticket to rubicon...

Butcher a Jeep

Preserve a Land Cruiser

I did the guard chop on the weekend..

feel better about the wheel guard size and tyre placement after it..

before the guard chop
DSC04253.JPG

after the chop (other side)
DSC04255.JPG

DSC04256.JPG

DSC04257.JPG

DSC04258.JPG

removed guard and template for the other side
DSC04263.JPG

this tub might not be in as good condition as yours but its still pretty good. Id rather not bend panels when my tyre stuffs into the wheel well and decides to take some of the panel with it..

Keep it... slowly restore it, and get a beater 40 so you don't care about it..

are you bilding it for yourself or the next owner? If it is for you, only you know what you like. is stock your stile or is half fj half tube buggie more your style? ether way or in between if it is not being built for resale do what best fits your needs and own style.;)

Don't cut it. You can have a very capable rig without cutting. Lots and lots of hacked up ones out there, less and less non hacked.

I plan on keeping it, but as we all know, one cannot predict the future. So knowing that I will never get what I put into it, and I plan on sinking a bunch into it (or why am I offroading in the first place), I'm trying to keep the value of it. Is a fully stocked rig a better value than one that can do the job of the Rubicon but not as articulate as the chopped up one. And can an almost stock do the Rubicon?

On the other hand, under the tub, I have already upgraded from the original to the toughest stuff I can replace it with. Such as dumping the rear drum brakes for discs, since the brakes and the cylinder needed replacing anyway. The radiator was replaced with a 4 core, the new mandifold has ceramic headers and the alternator is now a 1 wire 105amp. Trying not to repeat steps. If I'm going to lift, lets lift it once.....type of thinking. I do not want to lift it 2", then 4", then.....you get the picture.

why not wheel it some and then decide what to do with it?

you will have a better idea what the limitations are relative to the trails you are taking

maybe find a local club and watch what others are doing and get some feedback on your own driving

I would not modify a rig unless I knew what I modified it for (and not from hearsay :rolleyes:)

hell, I have wheeled a stock Mitsubishi Expo and a stock Blazer, and even my Miata has seen dirt (graded no less) :grinpimp:

I hate to see nice stock 40s cut up, but it is your choice....

Noticed you were from Livermore, I used to work out there - may have seen your rig - are you near the Post Office? There was a nice olive colored 40 over there. There are a few nice 40s out in the Tri Valley.

x2 on the wheeling it and then deciding. Or buy a minitruck and beat on that!

Brian

I am in Livermore, but the Olive one (I have also seen this one, even went up to it to get a closer look) is not mine. Mine is white.

I had the same issue.... do or dont. I went with dont

pic is of my 2 babys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom