78 steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wont fit 71 has a 1 piece colum 78 has a 2piece believe 68 to 72 are the same hope this helps

I would wait and do a P/S conversion. Best upgrade you can do other than disk brakes. As stated, the '71 has a steering shaft that goes directly to the box. Later models have a rag joint in between. You could make it work with adding a rag joint but the upgrade would be a better option...

Why do you want to change? A 71 steering box can be rebuilt with a lot less headache than a conversion, tho the initial sticker shock on the sector roller is pretty disgusting. I think coolerman did a write up on it somewhere.

I also rebuild those early steering boxes on a regular basis if you're not inclined to take on the task yourself.

Best

Mark A.

Thanks for the help guys. Thought I might buy a used one a fella had pulled out of his 79 that was tighter than mine. just to get me by for the summer. Realy want the power steering but the rag joint and cutting my steering colum is a little intimadating. Any opinions on what sag to use on the conversion.

If you have access to a later column, it'll help everything along anyway. On my old 72, I swapped later column, did the ps conversion at the same time, but no reason you couldn't go ahead and swap later oolumn and later manual box. Saves the shaft cutting/welding thing.

If you have access to a later column, it'll help everything along anyway. On my old 72, I swapped later column, did the ps conversion at the same time, but no reason you couldn't go ahead and swap later oolumn and later manual box. Saves the shaft cutting/welding thing.

Then you've also got to deal with rewiring your ignition and turn signals, and loosing the old school bus look. Different strokes.........

Mark A.

True Mark, I really preferred the newer steering wheel style, the old ones are getting hard to come by and mine was cracked at the hub.

You will also need remove the pedestal from the frame and use the newer pedestal with the newer steering box.

What are you going to do with your 71 box?
(my 72 box is broken at the adjuster across from the sector)

Kevin

Kevin, if all you need is an empty box, I can mail you one for the cost of shipping. Several MUD members have responded to my request to forward what's left of their old boxes to me after they cut the columns for Saginaw conversions.

Cruiser Karma.

Best

Mark A.

Mark

Sounds great, I have to get an order together for you anyway. I need a dash pad for my 74. Does your new pads have the light cutout?

By the way the way I broke the box, I was pulling the pitman arm. Had a puller on it and was using a BFH on the side of the arm when the other side of the box blew off. :doh:

Kevin

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom