Variant Dual Battery Set-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those who are concerned about losing space in their engine bay this may be of interest. With my inverter install I needed alot of battery and I still wanted to avoid the expense and loss of all the space a 2nd tray requires. The solution for me was to move one of my 6volt Optima starting batteries to the washer bottle location. This opened up just the right amount of space for the Odyssey 2150, a hulking battery.

I ran 2/0 from the positive of the 2150 to the seperator (by the master cylinder on the fender) and then 2/0 from there to the inverter through the cab and center console to under the passenger seat. The ground is flexible 2 guage to the engine block and then 2/0 from the rear of the engine block up into the floor where the inverter is installed.

The two 6 volts are connected in series with 2 guage and they are grounded at the same point on the rear of the engine block as the inverter. I used a remote terminal for various connections on the postive side of the Optimas to keep it clean.

My thanks to Christo Slee for the inspiration and direction on how to move the washer bottle. What a perfect fit.

Last edited:
Pretty slick..Did you fab up the PS side battery mount or did you buy it?

Lookin good. Any pics of your isolator setup?

nice.

any reason you didn't simply go with a full sized 12V?

I've always considered the spot behind the rad overflow bottle as being dead/empty space...especially since you moved the washer bottle anyhow.

not criticizing...just wondering...

nice.

any reason you didn't simply go with a full sized 12V?

I've always considered the spot behind the rad overflow bottle as being dead/empty space...especially since you moved the washer bottle anyhow.

not criticizing...just wondering...

Thanks

Three reasons for not going with a full size 12v on the passenger side.

1. I already had the two Optima 6volts.

2. I only spent $2 to mount the 6volt where the washer bottle used to be.

3. My air compressor was and remains mounted in that location.

When the 6volt Optimas die I will likely go with a rear mounted 2250 for accessories and change the job of the 2150 to chassis operation. This will shift weight from the front to the rear of the vehicle and allow even greater battery capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom