Transmission Fluid Levels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I changed the filter on my LC and I drained a considerable amount of fluid (7 liters ish). When I filled it back up, I made sure not to overfill it. I checked the level after it was warmed up and the level was in the hot range on the dip stick. However, once the vehicle is cold, the level is very high. I'm also seeing a slight pause in the mornings. Like the tranny is having to build pressure. I was wondering if I might have done something incorrectly or if I have another problem (leaking seals or such). Any suggestions?

I don't believe the fluid level is a problem when cold.

If I remember correctly, both the Land Cruiser & the wife's Ford Ranger read high when cold, and off.

I was checking fluid condition which is why I did not have it warmed up & engine running.

Why that is , I am not sure - perhaps oil that would normally be flowing through the transmission runs down to the pan throwing the level reading off.

At any rate ...

part 2 - does this describe any of what you are seeing ?

thread here

Britt

rbpearson4,

I agree with newbie. You may be a PINT (=.5 of a quart) low, causing the "slip" condition.

Transmission fluid levels can be checked cold, but engine needs to be running. I alsways look at it warm.

there is a difference when cold, and when the engine hasnt been started, the cold level is after is has been started but not warm, some fluid goes into the torque converter

there is a difference when cold, and when the engine hasnt been started, the cold level is after is has been started but not warm, some fluid goes into the torque converter

Righteo! This is my understanding as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom