HJ45 welcome here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swamp-thing

SILVER Star
Threads
Finally found a truck I like. Are the H's welcome in the 'F' forum? Thanks everyone for help and input along the way.
232310086.jpg

Not on hand yet, but very soon -- can't wait. I'll definitely get more info / pics when it's in my driveway.

Could someone explain the front hubs for me? Why isn't there a locking mechanism? Is it full time or automatic?

Dang that's sweet! :beer:

So what would the downside be of this?

I'm surprised this isn't something that more people would be looking for to upgrade their TLC.

So what would the downside be of this?

I'm surprised this isn't something that more people would be looking for to upgrade their TLC.

Most trucks came from the factory that way. Unlockable hubs were add-ons (WARNs, etc), until Toyota started putting them on in the later 70s. The ability to release the front hub when you don't need the front drive results in reduced component wear (front driveshaft, differential, and hub mechanism, birf). And maybe a little less resistance to overcome and slightly better milage.

This is how the front hub assembly came from the factory until 9/75 (I think unlockables were optional after that):

080A1.gif

This HJ45 looks to be 79+, so the O/S markets still must have received the fix hub setup.

you all know much more about it than i do. Is what you're describing still an okay system to have on my truck? I'd hate to feel compelled to change it so early in the stages of ownership...unless a manual locking hub an easy and highly recommended conversion to do...

Switching to manual hubs isn't difficult. I wouldn't worry about it personally. Drive it and see how you like it first etc.

I'd agree. I would think that the biggest issue would be wear on the front U joints, which would impact you after what, 150/200K depending? Just means you'd be servicing them sooner than you would otherwise.

I can handle that. It might actually be kind of nice to not have to hop out and lock the hubs. Thanks for the info.

-swamp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom