LC Mechanic/shop referrals for San Antonio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

New here - but looking for advice/referral on a responsible/experienced mechanic or shop in San Antonio. I've got a 1999 LC with 107K and I think I need new CV boots (this is the service I am needing).

"Cranked-up" the T bars a few weeks ago and LOVE the look. And, as expected the CV's began leaking immediately. Had to look around for new clamps, but eventually found some at Advance Auto Parts (saw the "Band-It" brand referrenced on MUD, but couldn't find them at any of the chain part stores). Anyway, put on new clamps and the leaking stopped, but noticed this morning that I've got some more "splatter" that looks like it's coming from the "big" clamp side but the clamp LOOKS OK - so I'm guessing that might possibly have a hole or small tear in the boot. Have to wait until tonight to get a better look.

IF my suspicions are right then I think replacing the boots might be out of my league and looking for a LC experienced shop in San Antonio to take to.

Just don't let Alamo Toyota touch your LC. They did work on my dad's LC and pitched the transfercase skid plate and transmission inspection plate. Not dealer quality work IMO. On a side not you should come out to the local TTORA meeting this week and see if anyone there has input on a repair shop. I'll be there in my 80 and possible 3 other LC's, we're still trying to get a separate LC group going. It will be Thursday 8pm at the I-35 Hooters near the Fourm shoping center.

-Benjamin

Did you find a shop?

Hi All -

New here - but looking for advice/referral on a responsible/experienced mechanic or shop in San Antonio. I've got a 1999 LC with 107K and I think I need new CV boots (this is the service I am needing).

"Cranked-up" the T bars a few weeks ago and LOVE the look. And, as expected the CV's began leaking immediately. Had to look around for new clamps, but eventually found some at Advance Auto Parts (saw the "Band-It" brand referrenced on MUD, but couldn't find them at any of the chain part stores). Anyway, put on new clamps and the leaking stopped, but noticed this morning that I've got some more "splatter" that looks like it's coming from the "big" clamp side but the clamp LOOKS OK - so I'm guessing that might possibly have a hole or small tear in the boot. Have to wait until tonight to get a better look.

IF my suspicions are right then I think replacing the boots might be out of my league and looking for a LC experienced shop in San Antonio to take to.

San Antonio shop references

Not yet. Not getting any responses/referrals other than stay away from Alamo Toyota. Does anyone know anything about "Wimberly Four Wheel Drive". It's a shop just north of New Braunfels right on I-35. Tons of older land cruisers out front - so it at least appears they specialize in LC's.

Does anyone know anything about "Wimberly Four Wheel Drive". It's a shop just north of New Braunfels right on I-35. Tons of older land cruisers out front - so it at least appears they specialize in LC's.
Aren't they the ones who were recently outed for trying to sell a non-titled (salvage) 70 on Ebay?

Read about it here on MUD in the last day or so...

WImberly is over priced. good mechanic but high dollar....

Hey guys, looking at getting my first cruiser here soon. Is there any mechanics in town?

Id like to attempt to do the work myself if anyone is willing to be my sensai.

There's a place on Isom near the airport that does a lot of work on Land Cruisers and such. They're a Japanese only repair shop run by two brothers and their mother. I've been impressed with them in the past. I'll see if I can find the name. I know there in the phone book.

Hey Bear, thanks for the offer....id love to learn how to do all the upkeep on cruiser myself. Im not all knowing on the inner workings of vehicle maintnance but i am mechanically inclined...and i can bring the beer and cigars!

I bought a '94 a few weeks ago and love it.Its a one owner very clean car with all service records. The big thing that needs attention I belive are the tie rods....the steering is loose and from what ive read on here thats the thing to look at just not sure how.

email me if you want to do some wrenching this sat or sun..
ronstermonster@satx.rr.com

BTW...who did i see on bitters near 281 wednesday..twice. Gold and all decked out machine. Anyone on here?

That was me. I saw you the second time and flashed my lights. I live in Hidden Forest off Bitters.

Let me know if you guys do some work on Sunday. I need to change fluids and get ready for the trip.

BTW...who did i see on bitters near 281 wednesday..twice. Gold and all decked out machine. Anyone on here?

Cool, thought it was you....you said in your email that you lived in the area. I live in vista del norte, right down the road. Really nice rig!

No one wants to do some wrenching this weekend?:doh:

I just got in from a drive to Corsicana. I'll probably crash for a bit then do some wrenching tonight or tomorrow. PM me your phone number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom