fj 40 title question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering how hard it would be to get a title for a 75 fj 40, I found one but I don't know if it runs, their is no title it has a holley carb, headers, lift aluminum rims no doors, no back doors and needs some rust repair, but he only wants 200 for it and you can't get a lost title either.

That totally depends on the laws in your particular state.

I got my FJ40 from a guy in Georgia. In Georgia, anything pre 1986 years old doesn't require a title. So, I should be able to get it titled in SC with only a GA bill of sale. We'll wait til I have something worth titling first.

Check up on the laws in Montana and see what you find.

Last edited:
I bought my 1980 FJ40 (dead, but too good to junk) while living in West Virginia; it also had no title:whoops: It was from Florida, judging from the dealer's sticker on the back door. While cleaning it out, I found a letter (stuck under the dash) to a former PO in Florida. I called the Florida Registry, gave his name to them, and told them my plight. Since there was no record of theft, so they sent me a copy of the title. I took it to the WV registry, along with the bill of sale from the WV guy, and they gave me a new title.:cheers: Montana may be more "sophisticated" but you probably could find a way of getting a title for it. Good luck, Ned

Is the VIN visible anywhere? If it is, you can prove it's not stolen and should be able to get a title.

Peter

Here is Washington State if there is no title the Department of Licensing will require that the buyer wait three years prior to issuing a title. I guess that's to make sure that someone doesn't come forward to claim the vehicle.

Good luck!

easiest way would be to go to the registry and ask. here in mass its easier to register it thru a friend over the border in new hampshire where it will be documented on the registration that there is no title and then register it in mass where they will manuf a new title. without the new hampshire registration, i would need a bill of sale from the current owner and a notorized statement from the prior owner that sold it to him, big pain in the arse. i would vistit the registry and get first hand info.

I bought it

it came from a tow yard, my daughter wrecked her neon this weekend and Iwent to look at it to see if it was fixable. It wasn't but when I was their i noticed the cruiser and asked the owner about it and he said pay the tow bill and it is yours. He told me ho wont help get the title and it doesn't come with a bill of sale. The only thing they said was it was a 911 call so the guy must have got arrested. In order to get it out it would have cost the guy over a 1000 dollars for storage fees. Looking at the motor it looks like a rebuild not that long ago, and the holley carb and headers are still shiny.

Without a bill of sale, I don't see how you could register it and you've got no proof you didn't steal it.
Good luck, but this seems screwy to me.

screwy

Ya it was screwy but I just couldn't pass it up. I know some people that can run the plates, so I can atleast get a name from the guy. And find out a little more about it. In a perfect world he would just give me the title.

You have a reciept for the Tow. That is you bill of sale. Take it and the VIN# as well as the plate numbers to your local DMV. Explain your situation and they should be able to help you.

You may have to pay back registraion fees to bring it current. If you have a buddy that belongs to AAA he can have them sheck all this out as well.

Contrary to general perception the people at the DMV want to help you. They want thier money.

This is also why thier lines are so darned long. They are being helpful to people who have questions.

what to do

I just talked with the dmv and they said that the tow truck driver wasn't supposed to sell it to me without a title. The guy told me it would be strictly parts vehichle but where their is a will their is a way. I am hoping for the best. I am not sure if I should contact the original owner if he will make it hard for me or what. I have always wanted a fj40 and I convinced my wife we need to scrap her 59 jeep willys wagon and work on this, it is much cooler, and it has alot done to it allready.

Well how in the hell is the tow truck driver going to get the title?

Write your own receipt or buy a door-jam VIN tag and title from someone selling a set. Just don't volunteer information that is going to raise eyebrows. You bought it, it is a legitimate sale now you just have to work the system to accept that.

I'm not saying I have ever done this but there are ways around the obstacles

And the holier-than-thous need not reply.

the way i see it....so this is just my two cents.
it was not the towing guy's truck to sell. you stole the truck, which is why they won't write you a receipt nor help you get a title.
what happens if the guy who REALLY owns the truck finds out where it is?
you have a truck with no title and he has the title and apparently is around your general area.
it's not like it was repoed. if the guy happens to see it's not there any more and reports it stolen, then what?

if it was true parts truck, that would be one thing, but this sounds like it was driven, or atleast could be driven.....is that not a felony?

i bought two true parts trucks years ago from teh guy who was a cousin or uncle to the guy that really owned them, he was also a notery(sp). some shady stuff ensued and a few weeks later i had two titles for the two trucks in my name.

In most states a wrecker or storage facility have to post that they are selling vehicles that have storage fees attached to them, after 30 days of posting in a public place and newspaper, then they can sell it for what ever they want, It might not hurt to go back to the wrecker guy and ask for the paperwork for a public sale for title of vehicle, the only way I know this, I bought a 5th Wheel Cheap from a storage facility but didnt get the froms to have title reissued.

In AZ I'd do it as an abandoned vehicle. All through MVD forms. Owner or Lessee(sp) signs an affadavit (MVD Form also) stating the the vehicle has been abandoned and they have no interest in it. You tow it at that point and have 30 days to provide notice to mvd. They title search, no owner of record = yours w/fresh title, owner identified = notice with 30 days to respond, claim, pay reasonable tow and storage fees and pick-up. Any of that falls through = yours w/ clean title. Reasonable dolly tow $200 + $25 per day * 60 days. Your going to get it 90% of the time!

I've got a couple of cars I'm going to make a play for that way out here. Including a rust free FJ40.

Later,

Matt

Ya it was screwy but I just couldn't pass it up. I know some people that can run the plates, so I can atleast get a name from the guy. And find out a little more about it. In a perfect world he would just give me the title.

So what if it's screwy:

Buy a VIN plate and Title from someone and slap it on your cruiser. Cut out the frame vin and scab in bare metal.

The bottom line is you didn't steal it, so who cares.

Howdy! The Tow Yard should have aquired a Mechanics Lien for the storage fees not paid. That's the way MOST states operate. If the local constablary requested that he tow the rig, it is his for the storage that accululates. Many parts yards end up with all these vehicles that run OK and they have no damage, but they have to sell on a Salvage Title. Legally, you are holding a stolen vehicle. The owner could reposess it anytime with his title registration, and an officer of the law. My nephew is a Deputy Sherrif, and has helped recover several cars this way. Have a 3rd party contact the real owner and find out if he will release the title to you. Good Luck!! John

Legally, you are holding a stolen vehicle. The owner could reposess it anytime with his title registration, and an officer of the law.

This is what I'd be worried about. No matter what the guy at the tow yard told you. If he went thru the proper channels, then he'd have the right to sell it and wouldn't refuse to give you a bill of sale.

Hope it works out.

I used these guys to get a title for my 53 DeSoto

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

$150 and 1-2 months and you'll be set.

I also used Broadway Title. The actual service they provide (getting the title) is great, Communication with the company is horrible though. You will never be able to speak to a person that does not have an attitute. Is kinda like you owe them something, not like you are paying for a serviced. Also, I used them on October. Not 1-2 months but more like 3. Also, you will not get a title, but a vehicle regristration from a dealership in Alabama. You can than take that registration to your DMV to get your title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom