Is welding legal within city limits? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YODA 88 62

SILVER Star
Threads
Would i get a huge ticket from the fire marshal?

I never realized how much smoke is produced from welding. My street was full of smoke after only using half a stick.

Other info: Iam an renter, welding under a carport, making sure the weld cannot be seen by anyone driving or walking by.

thanks for any responses.
Charles

???

you cleaning everything before you welding??

Stick produces some smoke but nothing like Chinese new year!

As well as i can. I was welding on the frame and burning up the paint on the frame. The wind was also blowing it straight in the street.

I have a neighbor that has already called the police on me once for noise (grinder). The ticket for that would cost me $350 and get me a date in court if they are sent to my house again.

My Gf's dad (Ex-welder) told me that welding in most city limits is legal, but for courtesy, block the light given off by the arc.

Think you answered your own question. Not only can you create a bit of a smoke cloud but inhaling the fumes from paint burned off can't be that good for your lungs. If you have to keep producing that kind of gas cloud get a real good respirator.
And keep welding.

My Gf's dad (Ex-welder) told me that welding in most city limits is legal, but for courtesy, block the light given off by the arc.

If welding in city limits is illegal, how'd they build the city in the first place? A lot of steel in those buildings... I've taken a couple welding classes and no one's ever mentioned it. I also restrict my grinder use to 10AM to about 8PM...

Are the houses right on top of each other where you are?

Think you answered your own question. Not only can you create a bit of a smoke cloud but inhaling the fumes from paint burned off can't be that good for your lungs. If you have to keep producing that kind of gas cloud get a real good respirator.
And keep welding.

I usually have a fan blowing the fumes away from me while i weld. I was dumb and did not grind the frame completely off. Will not make that mistake again.

If welding in city limits is illegal, how'd they build the city in the first place? A lot of steel in those buildings... I've taken a couple welding classes and no one's ever mentioned it. I also restrict my grinder use to 10AM to about 8PM...

Are the houses right on top of each other where you are?

I am concerned with any laws/ordinances pertaining to residential areas. A search of the city webpage didnt come up with anything.

The lady called the police at 6:30 or so on a sunday afternoon. The police also said there were several other noise complaints.

The houses are not on top of each other.

I'd suggest you do some research into the noise ordinances in your area WRT the neighbor complaints. If they are suggesting they'd cite you for operating a grinder, how the heck did the houses get built in the first place?

As far as welding goes - grind off the paint where you can. Less smoke and a better weld quality in any case.

??

You need to move. I hate a****** neighbors.

JR

Are you sure all the smoke was coming from you and not a fire place chimney?

I watched the wind blow it down the street. I am also in Texas.

You need to move. I hate a****** neighbors.

I would like too, but campus is down the street. i enjoy walking to class everyday instead of having to find a parking spot a mile away.

well i guess that we are 30ft away from the sun it must me safe to look at.

well i guess that we are 30ft away from the sun it must me safe to look at.

yeah, cause looking at a blazing planet 110 times the size of our own is just the very same as looking at a manmade arc that is smaller than your pinky finger nail.
it's also not cool to look at the sun through the same lense you use to weld.
the'res only a slight difference in the intensity of the light generated between those two, what with one being a man made ''spark'' and the othe r being an atomic reaction..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have been through two welding classes. Nobody ever mentioned that.

i read it in a book many years ago, when was in school. i've never seen it mentioned anywhere else before.
i guess the ''better safe than sorry'' theory applies here. it's surprising how many people want to look at the purdy blue light.....

i weld for a living.

I live close to the University of Arizona in the heart of the Tucson. I'm getting ready to install a steel fence around the front of my property and have been looking into the safety issues. I've come to the conclusion that I need to use a couple of welding curtains to block the ability of anyone seeing the arc from the street. In this day and age you do not know when someone will sue for supposed damage to their eyes. I just do not want to deal with the expense of defending myself from a lawsuit from an individual that does not want to work for a living.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom