07 Tundra Brakes on an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
we've all seen the commercials, and those big 07 Tundra brakes look hause. They come to mind everytime i am pulling a trailer. would it be possible to fit these bad boys on an 80 with wheels, etc. ?? i may be dreaming but it i just had to ask.

:cheers:

i know, but is there any creative way to change the 80 to five lug?

Anything is possible, if you want it bad enough. It seems like it would take a lot of fab work for probably minimal benefit.

Perhaps swapping the hubs off of a FZJ105? I've come to understand that they are 5-lug like the 100's and now the Tundra. It also seems that the solid axle is derived from the 80-series axle, so perhaps the knuckle balls are the same? and thereby the knuckles?

Purely speculation, but might be worth looking into further if you really want to do this.

Ary

If your pulling something heavy enough that you want those, you would have trailer brakes.... wouldn't you? :)

If your pulling something heavy enough that you want those, you would have trailer brakes.... wouldn't you? :)

Not that I don't agree with you, but the 80's brakes have often left a bit to be desired in my opinion.

Just imagine an 80 series with a 4.7 or 5.7 Toyota V8 and Tundra brakes, now THAT would be kickass and would solve all of the 80's "shortcomings" in my view. :D

It's hard to beat the 80 for all around ruggedness of design and functionality, but the go and stop part of its job have always been a bit meager(at least in stock form, the SC presumably fixes half the 'problem').

Again, all just opinion, as I'm sure you'll find a lot of around here :grinpimp:

All you guys who complain about the lack of power in an 80 series need to drive a 2nd gen 4Runner for a while. After a few months of that, your 80 will feel like a powerhouse.

As for brakes, I dont know the difference in diameter between the new Tundra's and the 80's, but Id try more aggressive pads before I did something extreme like convert over to 5 lug hubs and bought new factory parts off of a new vehicle (EXPENSIVE). Or maybe look to see if anyone offers 6 lug rotors in a larger diameter with custom brackets/after market calipers.

Wonder when people will start wrecking these so they can be picked apart vulture style ;)

i used to have a 2nd gen 4 runner with the 3.0. it had 170K on it and it could barely get out of its own way. the trailer that i pull is not heavy enough to justify trailer brakes. its only a 15 ft boat and motor. but i agree that the 80s brakes leave a lot to be desired once you put bigger tires and a trailer of just about any size in toe. is there anything you can do to help out the braking on an 80 besides 100 pads? doesn't seem like that would give you much.

If you're looking into this, I'd also suggest contacting Wilwood and seeing what they have that can help out.

wilwood, brembo, or other quality aftermarket would be cheaper to go big and directly 6lug compatible.

it's not just the rotor size (which will be limited unless you want to go 17-18" wheels) but also the fact the new Toyotas use EBFD and electric assisted booster.

Also, what about just replacing old parts with factory fresh from Cdan? Maybe that will help also...

look at the figures, you may improve feel and fade but maybe not braking distance. The 80 stops as short as a 100 series or GX470

I put Brembo rotors and EBC green stuff pads on all 4 corners.. MUCH better than stock braking and not a ton of money.. I found my parts on the net/ebay and I am into them about $250 for everything..
later Bret

You wouldn't need to convert to 5 lugs if only replacing the front calipers. The front disks bolt to the hubs. The hubs have the lugs.

And as FirstToy pointed out a lot of it has to do with the electric assist booster.

Don't go experimenting with brake systems on a daily driver. If your 80 will not lock the brakes at fwy speeds with the ABS fuse pulled, then you have a problem with your stock system. Best money spent would likely be for new rotors and pads all around. The 100 pads don't improve the braking, they just last longer than the stock size pads. Unless you count the placebo effect. ;)

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom