Different inverter placement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I haven't seen anyone do their inverter like this, but I have heard some say that it wouldn't work. Since I decided my rear heater would never work again I wanted to use that space. So I thought some might be interested in seeing another viable option for inverter placement.

This is a 2300 watt unit that puts out 4600 watts peak. It shows voltage of the battery driving the inverter as well as wattage being put out. I flipped the bottom so that it would fit down into the valley. I also added a nickel width washer under the rear seat legs to give a smidgen of needed room. If I had Landtank's seat kit the washers would not be neccesary.

The ground poking up through the floor is a relatively tight fit were the heater lines poked through. I used a liberal quantity of silicone sealer underneath the duct tape.
inverter 002 (Medium).jpg
inverter 003 (Medium).jpg
inverter 004 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Nice install. Should stay cool enough down there ;)

Where did you purchace it? I have a 400w that I find I use all the time and would like to get a one with more power.

Nice install. Should stay cool enough down there ;)

Where did you purchace it? I have a 400w that I find I use all the time and would like to get a one with more power.

I bought it on Ebay. The fans draw air from the end you see looking at the outlets and from underneath. I have tested it and it works great so far. I don't expect any problems.

I wanted enough power to run an electric chainsaw, a heater, and especially a coffee maker. The key is having a monster battery in a dual set-up and for me a seperator so I could forget about the charging operation.

Last edited:
Nice......if you don't mind me asking how much did it run you?

Nice......if you don't mind me asking how much did it run you?

I think I ended up winning a bid for $225 with shipping.

The battery was $292 shipped. If you want the Odyssey 2150 call around locally before you buy. I could of got mine for $280 locally. Probably would of been close to the same after sales tax, but 292 was a steal.

Last edited:
The key is having a monster battery in a dual set-up and for me a seperator.

The battery was $292 shipped. If you want the Odyssey 2150 call around locally before you buy. I could of got mine for $280 locally. Probably would of been close to the same after sales tax, but 292 was a steal.

Pardon my ignorance but how monster is that battery? I don't know a darn thing about Odyssey but for that kinda price it had better be something really special. I mean what are its stats what makes it worth that. Thats just a mind blowing price for a battery IMO especially if you have a dual setup.

Looks good. My only concern would be the air flow along the sides. If those fins are functional heat sinks instead of decoration, the restricted air flow around them could pose a problem.

Pardon my ignorance but how monster is that battery? I don't know a darn thing about Odyssey but for that kinda price it had better be something really special. I mean what are its stats what makes it worth that. Thats just a mind blowing price for a battery IMO especially if you have a dual setup.

2150 cranking amps. 200 minutes of reserve capacity. Service life of 6-10 years.

Odyssey 2150

Nice install.

One worry:

1. You go through a water crossing that gets you stuck, you then have water coming and possibly submerging your inverter.

Looks good. My only concern would be the air flow along the sides. If those fins are functional heat sinks instead of decoration, the restricted air flow around them could pose a problem.

The fins are exposed better than it appears. The carpet was cut back to not interfere with the fins. The primary mechanism for cooling is airflow over the circuitry which is pulled by 3 fans and is also unobstructed.

Last edited:
Nice install.

One worry:

1. You go through a water crossing that gets you stuck, you then have water coming and possibly submerging your inverter.

Thanks.

I may have to replace the inverter if it becomes submerged. If it were to become submerged it may not be an issue if it is allowed to dry thoroughly before turned on. Hopefully I don't stall in water that deep. I don't have a snorkel either.

Last edited:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=99803&highlight=gineric+ROTW

I also have my inverter under the seat. Mine isn't quite as powerful as yours though. It is only a 1000 watt. So the physical size is probably a little smaller too. I then ran an extension cord up the console with outlets next to the transfer shifter.

I plan on using a 2 or 3 outlet short heavy guage extension cord to wherever I need 110 (usually the rear where the tent will be attached via a sock). When I do my sub install I may end up putting in two 12v outlets where the ashtray is in the rear interior passenger side panel. It would be easy for me to tap into the deep cycle power from the front of the inverter.

I plan on using a 2 or 3 outlet short heavy guage extension cord to wherever I need 110 (usually the rear where the tent will be attached via a sock). When I do my sub install I may end up putting in two 12v outlets where the ashtray is in the rear interior passenger side panel. It would be easy for me to tap into the deep cycle power from the front of the inverter.

If you remove the rear ashtray an outdoor outlet fits in that rear panel perfectly.

2150 cranking amps. 200 minutes of reserve capacity. Service life of 6-10 years.

Odyssey 2150

Ya Ive been eye balling that battery, top notch stuff from those guys.

Can you post pics of you running the chainsaw . :D

Nice work .

ken

If you remove the rear ashtray an outdoor outlet fits in that rear panel perfectly.

I have seen that, but I am not compelled to add the weight or complexity. Part of the advantage of having the inverter under the seat is the accessability of the 2 outlets on the inverter negating the need for remote outlets. However, I may eventually decide that 12 volt outlets may be of some use in that location.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom