Opinions on tire size, suspension planned... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.infohammer.net
Gents, thanks to tax returns I've got some money set aside to get some real tires (and a real rear bumper that our friend 2badfjs is crafting up) instead of the wore down radials I've been rolling around on.

My question is in reference to size vs. rub.

Currently I have 31" tires and am thinking of purchasing 33" and currently have a stock but 80% suspension. I want to know if the 33" tires are going to rub excessively until I get my new suspension coordinated or if it'll be manageable.

I do limited wheeling right now partially do to the fact that I do have street only tires (but the cruiser still goes places I can't believe). My goals for the future include a shackle reversal and eventually (probably next year) a OME complete kit. I'm not looking to do anything radical with my truck, I just want something I can roll down some trails with but still drive to Alaska and back with relative comfort (not too comfy - I'd puke if I couldn't feel the road) ;).

Another question about going to 33" is my dad who owns a FJ40 suggests that going to 33" tires will over drive my brakes. Is that true? I examined the brakes on this truck and my god, they look like they could stop a tank (granted the 60 IS a tank but maybe I'm just to used to my VWs).

Opinions welcome - thanx in advance and for the great info I've already received :beer:

what's up man... 33's wont overdrive your brakes. What condition are your springs in (sagging)? I might be interested in trading you my 3" safari springs (I'm going SOA) depending how the SOA is going to be set up.

I just put 33's on my 62 and it still stops just fine. I know of numerous people who have 33's on stock suspension. Just depends on the sag, and what offset wheel you plan to run, unless you keep the stock wheel, in which case I wouldn't go any wider than a 10.5.

what's up man... 33's wont overdrive your brakes. What condition are your springs in (sagging)? I might be interested in trading you my 3" safari springs (I'm going SOA) depending how the SOA is going to be set up.

Yo! You can come by and check out the springs if you want - I don't know enough about Landcruiser suspension to say as a pro but they look decent to
me and the truck sits level. I take it by the 3" that it's a lift of 3" that your safari springs add?

I just put 33's on my 62 and it still stops just fine. I know of numerous people who have 33's on stock suspension. Just depends on the sag, and what offset wheel you plan to run, unless you keep the stock wheel, in which case I wouldn't go any wider than a 10.5.

10.5"? Noted, I hadn't considered that, thanx! I'll head to the tire shop tomorrow! :cheers::bounce2:

I put 12.5's on mine, but I also am running 8.5 inch wheels now.

Yo! You can come by and check out the springs if you want - I don't know enough about Landcruiser suspension to say as a pro but they look decent to
me and the truck sits level. I take it by the 3" that it's a lift of 3" that your safari springs add?

10.5"? Noted, I hadn't considered that, thanx! I'll head to the tire shop tomorrow! :cheers::bounce2:

Also, since your local, be careful if you buy Schwaby tires. Before my 33's I had wildcat AT's on it. Well, that's what the PO put on it, and they handled like ass, for whatever reason. And I have had terrible luck with the Schwab brand tires wearing unevenly, and cupping.

Yeah... maybe I'll stop by one of these nights and check em out. Yes, the safari springs are 3" lift springs but Might be a little more as they have add-a-leafs in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom