85 toy pickup as doner for FJ40 or not (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok this probally realy stupid but i had to throw it out there to ask opinions on using a complete 85 engine down to the axles for the fj40. I think with the right gearing the set up would be reliable lighter and also tough enough as a daily driver and moderate trail rig. And parts would be everywhere. It aint going to beat any body out of the gate but what about cruising with top of and a little huntin and fishin offroad. anybody who has done it if you could poost pics our just laugh. Ill take it all. The Fj40 is in good shape body wise but but engine tranny transfer case have been picked over and sat in the weather for 3 years. So it is going to take a whole rig as a doner and i would like to keep it toy. But not the 6 I have it in my current rig and it is garbage.:) Thanx in advance Ill just sit back now and listen:popcorn:

John Embry from Bay to Blue Ridge Cruisers has done this with good success.

Wow oldiron that guy is pretty good with the fab work. I dont think i could or would want to get into that much of shortening and lenthening. But i like the drive train he has got going there. and I believe it would be easier to swap mini truck into fj40 frame well toddslater it sounds like nobody approves of the out come i still think gearing could make a good cruieser i aint lookin to be first our even 4th out of the gate but fifth might suck. But the propane conversion seems to give some xtra hp and better fuel efficiency.:cool:

Last edited:
Tedd up at Cruiser Solutions did one, saw it at last years Fall Gathering. I can't remember the owner's name. :doh: Aluminum tub FJ40 with a 22RE, five speed and a really short rear drive shaft. Pretty much stock and used as a daily driver, owner was very happy, but he had realistic expectations going into it. I was impressed, something I've entertained.

Wow oldiron that guy is pretty good with the fab work. I dont think i could or would want to get into that much of shortening and lenthening. But i like the drive train he has got going there. and I believe it would be easier to swap mini truck into fj40 frame well toddslater it sounds like nobody approves of the out come i still think gearing could make a good cruieser i aint lookin to be first our even 4th out of the gate but fifth might suck. But the propane conversion seems to give some xtra hp and better fuel efficiency.:cool:

Thanks :D yea, afterdoing this much work it would be easier to pu the stuff under the fj40 frame :D go for it :D

Shane

paranoid56 how is things coming with all the fab work it was lookin real good. I dont know if it will be easier but i may give it a try.

I know what I want for xmas:

"TURBO UPGRADE: The 22RTE needs forged pistons for any serious performance upgrade. The CT26 Supra Turbo (not the MR2/AllTrac) can be installed with minor fabrication. With boost controller, upgraded fuel delivery, 3" exhaust system, and intercooler- the 22RTE will put out in excess of 350HP, at about 25 psi!"

From: http://www.toysport.com/Technical Information/22r_tech_notes.htm (URL has an extra space in the posting above)

Does anyone know if the propane kit would be legal for onroad driving if the rig was old enough to not have to comply with smog standards. Or registered in Oregon

So what is the difference for the toy pickup axles over the cruiser axles should it bolt up ok.

the toy axles have smaller, but similar strength 3rd members.. the spring perch width in the front is different due to different sized inner axles..

Rear Axle is centered on mini trucks, but if your using the mini drive line it should work good!

so should the tranny transfercase fit with minor fabrication of mounts. Im getting rid of the whole drivetrain out of my fj so just wanting to hear about the little details people have heard about this type of swap. i appreciate all feedback thanx in advance

I started doing that just before the winter
I am waiting for the weather to warm up, to continue
I have the rear toy axle on the fram of a 72 fj40. I also have a 22r with the toy trans/transfer case . I am just checking things out. Here are some issues and ideas.
1- better to keep the fj front axle and steering.
2- The best I can do with the rear axle is to push back abt 2" and I can use the front fj drive sfaft as the rear shaft.
3 engine mounts shoul be no promlem , the battery tray has to be remove.
4- I tried the toy cross member under the trans/case is too low.
FROR sells a plate that bolts to the trans/case and you can add a bar under it for a cross member and it looks good.
5- I have to get red of that crocked tube behind the fj trans/case.
2 I can't use the fj rad.
I am using the 22r just to set things up, then Iwill put the supra 5m-ge.
It is a straigh 6 and close to the 2f.
Still looking for a local 5m cheap.
It bolts to the same 22r trnas, but I have to use bell housing from the 5m ,because the starter is in the opposite side.
I hope this helps you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom