Greetings and a question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all! My name is Ian, I live in Lakewood, CO, and I just picked up my first FJ40. I have been wanting one for a LOOOOOOONNNNNG time. I'm not new to the Toyota world. Until recently I owned an '81 4x4 PU with 6.5" of lift, 35 BFGs, and a 22r bored .030 over with a holley carb and offy intake and other goodies:​

2po48lu.jpg

I had originally bought this to gain some experience with working on Toyotas before buying an FJ40. I sold it a year and a half ago because it wasn't getting any love due to my other hobby. So for Valentine's Day this year, my wife got me this one:​

29atitj.jpg

I'm quite happy. Already has a 350 in it, great body, power steering, and came with a bikini top, half doors, and rear tailgate for the summer. It does need some work though (go figure ;) ). He included replacement parts for the front and rear heater, and a flex-a-lite black magic fan. I'm trying to figure out how best to install the fan as it's too big. I either need a shorter water pump (not sure if this will net me the ~2" that I need) or build a shroud and ditch the flex-a-lite. Sounds like a front wheel bearing is going out on it also...which brings me to my question.​

I have an opportunity to pick up complete front and rear axles from an '83 pickup, which would net me front disc brakes. Aside from the spring-over versus spring under difference, is there anything else that would make this a less than attractive option (diffs not matching up to the driveshafts, wider stance, discs not providing enough stopping power for the FJ, etc.)? This is only going to be a daily driver for me with occassional mild off-roading.​

Thanks in advance, and thanks for having me :cheers:

Ian​

It looks like the only part that comes from a Pickup is the calipers from the IFS series. I can get 78 FJ axles for just a bit more, I will probably end up going that route instead.

Thanks for the official welcome
nuts.gif
;)

Well, that's what I did on my '66 was to swap in a '78 axle. But I think you can swap over the knuckles on out to the hubs from a mini. I had the old ball and claw(no Birf) axle and decided the axle swap would be simpler.
Go to "Tech Links" at the top of the page and scroll down to "Disc brakes"....several articles there.

Ed:beer:

But I think you can swap over the knuckles on out to the hubs from a mini.

Ed is absolutely correct - all you have to do is swap from the knuckles out. Of course, that includes the birf too. Really simple upgrade......just check out the tech links and you should be good.

And welcome!

Tony

Last edited:
The Mini knuckles are beefier as well as the Birfields. Better/stronger than the '76-'78 axle.
Given the choice, I would use the mini stuff.

GL

Ed

Well, that's what I did on my '66 was to swap in a '78 axle. But I think you can swap over the knuckles on out to the hubs from a mini. I had the old ball and claw(no Birf) axle and decided the axle swap would be simpler.
Go to "Tech Links" at the top of the page and scroll down to "Disc brakes"....several articles there.

but the ball-and-claws look sooo cool :cool:

but the ball-and-claws look sooo cool :cool:

BTW, ianacole - welcome :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom