1993 ECU questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I promise I looked through all the previous posts, but I still can't find the answers I'm Looking for. I have a 1993 FZJ-80 mfg. date 03/93.:rolleyes: Sucks for me, because I know the impending doom.
My qustion is: Does any ECU after May 1993 through 1995 work for me or do I have to have a 1993 specific ECU.
I know the "good" ECU part# is 89661-60221, is the number on the body of the ECU so a junkyard can give me the correct one?
Finally, If I start getting the bad codes, How long can I drive it? Will It die on me or do damage to the engine, tranny?

Thanks for the answers,

TK

I know the "good" ECU part# is 89661-60221, is the number on the body of the ECU so a junkyard can give me the correct one?

Yes.

The ECU is located behind the glove box. 2 philips screws holding in the glove box then 3x10mm bolts (IIRC) holding the ECU to the brackets. Removal takes about 10 minutes if you are slow. You should be able to see the ECU and the p/n when the glove box is removed.

-B-

Thanks Beowulf. I know that mine is the 60170, I just have some lazy mechanics at the local junkyards that said they don't see any numbers on the box, and they won't let me back to look. I really just want to know if the 1993-95 will work for me.(before OBD2) Thanks

the 94 model year will work and some late build 93s will work. the 95 model year will not work and this might include some late 94 build dates that are 95 model year. the difference is obvious since a 95 model will have an airbag and different dash. and beowulf knows what he is talking about on this one ;)

semlin- for the '95 model years out there with the A442F and no airbags- those ECUs should work for him, I'd think. No?

those are 94 build dates so surely those are really 94s, no matter how the dealer registered them? has anyone ever seen a 1995 owners manual for a non-airbag truck?

but yes, if a 1995 model has no airbag it should have the right ecu.

Is your 80 giving you the code that indicates a bad ECU? Don't get all worked up unless it is. If it is, make sure your throttle plate can close all the way first. I replaced my ECU with a used one and still got the codes until I figured out the accelerator cable was a smidge too tight.

I'm not getting any codes yet, but I thought I would pick up an ECU as a preventative measure. I checked and PM'd my throttle cable, but I would just like the peace of mind a new ECU would give me. It sounds like late 93 to 94 ECU's are the ticket. I'll make sure to ask if the vehicle's had airbags.

Thanks guys.
TK

You want a NON-airbag vehicle, produced between May 1993 and December 1994.

I wouldn't get all worked up.
If you're not throwing bad ECU codes, there's no problem. There's also no guaranteed "impending doom."
Although it has been speculated by reliable MUDders, I know of no actual damage caused by running with a bad '93 ECU.

I have a 93 and I have the "good" ECU. Thing is, I keep throwing the codes as well. I took the TB off and cleaned it, which took care of it for a month, but sure enough..........the damn light and codes are back. I havent purchased a new ECU and I more than likely will just keep running it as it is now. ;)

... and beowulf knows what he is talking about on this one ;)

Are you implying that I usually don't know what I'm talking about and *this* time, I finally got it correct? :rolleyes:

-B-

I have a 93 and I have the "good" ECU. Thing is, I keep throwing the codes as well. I took the TB off and cleaned it, which took care of it for a month, but sure enough..........the damn light and codes are back. I havent purchased a new ECU and I more than likely will just keep running it as it is now. ;)

note the comment above re throttle cable. also, does your windshield or sunroof leak under the dash? I got the codes after my windshield was replaced and the shop used no glue so it leaked. took me a while to put two and two together.

Are you implying that I usually don't know what I'm talking about and *this* time, I finally got it correct? :rolleyes:

-B-

not unless my subconscious was implying it. I deny all responsibility for my subconscious :D

I should state that I DID replace my '93 ECU with the "upgraded" version when it started throwing the bad ECU codes.

I wouldn't get all worked up.
If you're not throwing bad ECU codes, there's no problem. There's also no guaranteed "impending doom."
Although it has been speculated by reliable MUDders, I know of no actual damage caused by running with a bad '93 ECU.

when i got my bad ecu codes, the tranny did some horrendous abrupt shifting which would definitely do damage if it had continued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom