wood panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found this 62 close to home..

there is no way it was originally a wood(YES I did a search)

thing looks like it is in great shape, pricy, but nice........

1547109207.216128518.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.563x421.jpg

I think it was a dealer installed option in many areas.

There is a thread called FJ 62 SOA begins! the vehicle in this thread has the same wood panels HERE is a picture from the thread. There are also a few others I've seen. I belive PismoJim has the same wood panels on his vehicle too.

I think it was a dealer installed option in many areas.

Ive heard the same! Apparently the original wood panels are very "valueable". I was out with the Norcal crew, and they were all trying to figure a way to fix the rust, without having to remove the wood grain decal.

LIfj40,
that looks like a nice clean rig, at least from the drivers side. I dont see any rust on the body in the usual spots, or anywhere else for that matter.
My PS rear quarter and rear door are shot from rust. The DS is still pretty decent..My rig was originally from New Jersy, as there was a NJ sticker in the front wind shield. The bumper is a nice PLUS as well!

Chicago

I'll take tacky vintage decals any day of the week but "wood" is horrible looking.... Buy the cruiser and maybe consider some beautification unless wood is your thing. Looks to be in awesome shape.

I dunno. I kinda like the wood. It makes it stand out a little more. And I agree with Chicago. The bumper is nice, and a fairly spendy upgrade. As are the Revo's. Pretty expensive tires.

The wood is trying to hard to look like a Wagoneer. I like it on a Wagoneer, but on a 60 not soo much. Is it a decal? or veneer?

Or instead of the zebra stripes as pictured here, crocodile green with airbrushed croc hide pattern. But if so, what base color?
attachment-1.php.jpg

If this were done well on the side panel, what color would you all suggest the rest of the vehicle be painted? This could go with the green and black paint as above, but with the croc skin added, or as a totally different paint scheme...
croc skin.jpg

While I am on a roll with all these posts, hogging this thread, I might as well provide a current close up showing my spray can painting skills...
fuel door bio small.jpg

While I am on a roll with all these posts, hogging this thread, I might as well provide a current close up showing my spray can painting skills...

Damn dude!!!!
That looks really fricking good for a ratlle jobber!

Chicago

Lots of thinly applied coats to prevent overspray and dripping, lots of patience taping it off to start out with, and good deceptive photography, my little grasshopper. It wasn't my first $20 paint job. ;) After I was done with the green (which already had a metallic glitter in it), I topped it off with a clearcoat glitter piant for extra redneck bling!!! Too bad the doors had to get yanked and replaced with faded freeborn red and faded/rashed sky blue. But, the hippie chicks dig it...

To be honest, this particular patch of the green is the nicest, and in person, it ain't all that nice...but it is just below the biodiesel decal, so you are probably distracted a bit by that too...

Last edited:
And, my drip channels (rain gutter, whatever you want to call them), windshield frame and some of the edges of the roof are totally ROTTEN, but I cut out all the rust, treated the raw edges and reached inside as best as I could with the stuff that oxidizes the bare steel or rust to the stable black "rust", and until I can afford it or learn how to weld new sheet metal on, covered these areas with aluminum tape and spray painted it white. Soooo ghetto, nothing but the best...

Anyone think "Pimp My Ride", "Overhaulin", "Pimp my Truck", "Whips" or some other similar show might be interested in bringing this '81 HJ60 to like-new (or better) again???

Sheila, just like most women, is nice from far, but far from nice...
Boy, she's my daily driver, I hope she didn't hear me say that!
Eh, she knows I love her and would betray most of friends before I would betray her...
driver side A pilar and windshield frame.jpg
Gutter.jpg
phpbrJMpqPM.jpg

Last edited:
That's the first one I've seen that looks exactly like mine!
The wood is an acquired taste.
I played a joke on a friend by putting some shelf paper on his while he was on a trip. He got back and from a distance thought it was mine! Ha, ha!

Or instead of the zebra stripes as pictured here, crocodile green with airbrushed croc hide pattern. But if so, what base color?

I hate that truck, there are so many things wrong with that picture.

And, my drip channels (rain gutter, whatever you want to call them), windshield frame and some of the edges of the roof are totally ROTTEN, but I cut out all the rust, treated the raw edges and reached inside as best as I could with the stuff that oxidizes the bare steel or rust to the stable black "rust", and until I can afford it or learn how to weld new sheet metal on, covered these areas with aluminum tape and spray painted it white. Soooo ghetto, nothing but the best...

Anyone think "Pimp My Ride", "Overhaulin", "Pimp my Truck", "Whips" or some other similar show might be interested in bringing this '81 HJ60 to like-new (or better) again???

Sheila, just like most women, is nice from far, but far from nice...
Boy, she's my daily driver, I hope she didn't hear me say that!
Eh, she knows I love her and would betray most of friends before I would betray her...

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Ouch!

If it went to "pimp my ride", it would end up lowered with 25 in wheels, spinners, street slicks, a disco ball in the cab, and subs that would rattle that body apart and a game console.:grinpimp:

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom