Question about Knuckle Surfaces (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have the left end of the axle apart and a quick question on the condition of the knuckle--it's a little rough and slightly pitted--does it matter? Please take a look at the pics!

BTW--something from La Brea Tar Pits came out of the diff. Yuck.

And the slop in the knuckle was pretty disgusting.

First pic is the front of the knuckle. Second pic is the back.

Thanks!
Left Knuckle Front.JPG
Left Knuckle Rear.JPG

I suppose, in theory, over time, those scratches could mess with the wipers. It isn't exacty a high velocity motion on them though. How fast can you turn the wheel? If you can feel any burs or divots, that might be something to be concerned about.

IMHO YMMV
I should put that in my sig line.

The bigger question is what caused it? I don't see how the felt wipers did this. Have your knuckle studs come loose before or some other similar problem?

I would hazard that neglect caused this. I'm betting this is the first axle job at 117000 miles. The knuckle studs weren't loose whiel I owned, but I've only owned it for a month and a half.

The pitting isn't horrendous--just unsmooth. And if I could turn the wheel that fast, I think I'd be on my roof!

Thanks for the replies--could we try to smooth it out at all or is it not worth it?

Thanks for the replies--could we try to smooth it out at all or is it not worth it?

I don't recall seeing that before, but maybe I just wasn't look close enough. I don't think I'd worry about it enough to start sanding on it.

Probably just some griit stuck in the wipers

just smooth it out / polish it a bit using fine grit paper or compound, should be fine if you use new wipers. Any pits will just fill out with grease or you could fill them out with epoxy etc if you're really anal.
Not worth changing the entire axle housing, I suppose... :)

looks like a little corrosion on the unpainted steel . If you are in a area with lots of salt you can smooth it out clean it spray some paint on it. The only thing that rides on trhat surface is the wiper.

looks like a little corrosion on the unpainted steel . If you are in a area with lots of salt you can smooth it out clean it spray some paint on it. The only thing that rides on trhat surface is the wiper. Actually looking at the pick again where the wiper rides is clean and good. The exposed area has corrosion. Clean it and paint it.

... Clean it and paint it.

X2 the wipers will wear most of the paint off, leaving some in the pits, making for a smoother sealing surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom