How does Toyota Certified work on a LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Find an 03 LC Toyota Certified with 53K mileage from a non Toyota dealer. Do I have to filll out any paper work or pay any fee to transfer the warranty?:confused:

I have never bought any car with certified warranty, just want to make sure I get it right.:D

Find an 03 LC Toyota Certified with 53K mileage from a non Toyota dealer. Do I have to filll out any paper work or pay any fee to transfer the warranty?:confused:

I have never bought any car with certified warranty, just want to make sure I get it right.:D

You should have a booklet with a document. In the booklet there should be a transfer form with a small fee to the new owner. You should also read what kind of extended warranty it is. 5-7 years 75-100K from purchase. 0-50 down etc.

I thought only Toyota could sell toyota certified vehicles?

Last year, a friend was looking to buy a used camry from a Honda dealer. He asked the salesman to certify it. The salesman did say that ONLY Toyota can certify Toyota cars.

Are you sure it is a Toyota certified warranty that the dealer is giving you?

Or is it remaining years/miles on the warranty that the previous owner had that they are willing to transfer to you?

Third parties will warranty any car, but to get a Toyota extended warranty you will have to buy the warranty from a Toyota dealer or from Toyota corporate. A Toyota warranty will be covered by Toyota Financial Services (TFS). There are a number of look-alikes that are sold even by Toyota dealerships to customers who do not know the difference (I was one of those at one time).

If you were buying the LC from a Toyota dealer it could be cerifiable - it is recent enough and has under 65K miles, but it would also have to pass a number of inspection points to be certified. My guess is you are looking at a third party warranty. Read the small print - some do not have much value in their coverage.

You can buy an extended warranty from TFS for the LC, but the rates will be based on a used car purchase instead of a new car still within oem warranty. Check out the Toyota web site for info on the TFS warranties and options.

I was told by the sale person, it is Toyota Ceritified with remaing of 7year/100k powertran warranty with $50 down.

Just have to double it before I make a deal.:D

IIRC, the Toy certification process is a list of checks of various things by a Toy dealer. Mostly obvious stuff, and really not worth too much to the average buyer. Plus they don't even always check things very carefully from what I could see.
So, the certification itself is just saying: it's in OK shape.

Where it gets more interesting is with the Toy warranties that can be obtained only with the certification. I forgot the details, though.

Call Toy customer service and check all the ramifications, transferring issues if any etc.

I was told by the sale person, it is Toyota Ceritified with remaing of 7year/100k powertran warranty with $50 down.

Just have to double it before I make a deal.:D

I find this hard to believe. Salesmen will tell ya anything to make the sell. I'd confirm it with Toyota USA, not any Toyota dealer. FYI, for lexus certified vehicles, they require full [Lexus] dealer service records, < 60K mi, mint condition, plus it costs the dealer about $2K to get Lexus Financial to certify it. The dealer also has to do the 200 point (or whatever it is) check. You should be provided with the certification checklist and any notes the tech made, stuff replaced, etc. $50 sounds too cheap to me. The standard lexus CPO is 3 yr/100K mi, list on extending that to 5 yr/100K is $1.6K.

If it is a real Toyota warranty by TFS, then it can be transferred once from the original owner to the second owner for a fee.

It is always good to check all the fine print to know for sure what you are getting. It could be good.

with lexus, i got the extended warranty straight from lexus. They said even if i was to sell my truck prior to the warranty being up, they would transfer it to them...said i could use it as a selling point.

Like Jim said, cost about 1.6k, its pretty much paid for itself now.

Doesn't matter now, but it may have been a Toyota certified car which was sold used at a Toyota dealer, then that person traded it in at the non-toyota dealer. The Toyota certified warranty is transferable for a fee. I did the same thing when I bought a Toyota Certified, used, T100 from the Toyota dealer, then a year or two later I sold it, and the new buyer transferred the remaining Toyota Certified warranty.

I noticed the Toyota Certified warranty covers only the Power Train for 7/100K miles. The full warranty is only for 3 months or 3000 miles. This doesn' t make sense as the stuff that is more likely to fail is the electronics and not the powertrain. The power train has a 5/50K warranty anyway to begin with.

Toyota CPO vs. Lexus CPO. Seems the Toyota CPO is only 3 mo/3K miles on the entire vehicle while the lexus is 3 yr/100K...not worth it, IMHO. It is transferable.

%--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Toyota Certified Used Vehicles come with one of the most extensive used-car warranties in the business.

Each Toyota Certified Used Vehicle comes with a 3-month/3,000-mile comprehensive warranty from date of certified purchase. This warranty covers any repair or replacement of components which fail under normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship.

Each Toyota Certified Used Vehicle is also backed by a 7-year/100,000-mile Limited Powertrain Warranty (from original date of first use when purchased as new). We also add a 7-year/100,000 mile 24-hour Roadside Assistance Plan (from original date of first use when purchased as new). For the enhanced peace of mind of an available Extended Vehicle Service Agreement, please visit Toyota Financial Services. Here are a few of the features and benefits of the Toyota Certified Limited Powertrain Warranty:

Valid at over 1,400 Toyota dealerships in the U.S. and Canada
Transferable at no cost for added resale value
Travel protection
Substitute transportation
Toll-free line assistance
%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lexus CPO. Last paragraph says it's also transferable.

Warranty Coverage
The Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is actually better than some new-vehicle warranties. It's an extensive limited warranty, technically known as an "exclusionary warranty." Starting on your date of purchase, it offers the same coverage and privileges new-car buyers receive. To see what is and isn't covered, view the list below or visit your Lexus dealer for complete details.

Engine
Transmission
Final Drives and Axles
(Front-Wheel Drive)
Rear-Wheel Drive
Steering
Brakes
(Excluding Rotors and Pads)
Fuel System
Cooling
AC and Heating Systems
Electrical
Computer
Restraint Systems
Accessories and Controls
Wheels

This warranty also provides a complimentary loaner car, Roadside Assistance[1] and Trip Interruption Service coverage as described in the Stellar Coverage.

It is valid for three years or 100,000 total vehicle miles from your date of purchase, whichever comes first.

No deductible. Repairs made under this warranty will be at no cost to you.

This warranty covers any repair or replacement of components that fail under normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship except as set forth under "Exclusions."

The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.

Warranty Period
The warranty period begins on the date you purchase your Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle. The Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is applicable three years from the purchase date or for 100,000 total vehicle miles, or until the date on which you transfer your Lexus to a subsequent owner. This warranty is not transferable to any subsequent owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom