93 LC; drive plates and ECU (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am considering buying a certain built 93 LC. In my studies, it seems the 93's have thinner drive plates and peksy ECU's. How big of a problem are these two things. Looks like the ECU's cost about 1200. Do the thin drive plates equal a weak link?

Drive flanges are not really much of an issue. Only April 93 and older vehicles have the possibly problematical ECM.

As far as I know, the drive flanges are just different, not necessarily better. I've not seen anyone post a problem with them. The ECU can be replaced with a used one with the right part # for appx $200.00, and you only need to do this if you see the code. The same code can be caused by a slightly too tight accelerator cable.(This I learned the hard way) On the plus side, you get a tranny made for buses, and your code reader comes from your stash of office supplies. I would be much more concerned with general vehicle condition and past maintenance than what year it is.

crap, looks like mfg date is 1/93. bearcat, where can I get used ECU's for $200?

That is an avearge junk yard price. You would search the import yards for a 5-93 through 12-94 donor.

There is also the possibility that the computer has already been changed. If so it will have an 89661-60221 installed.

The computer is not doomed to fail for that matter. It's a gamble.

The computer is not doomed to fail for that matter. It's a gamble.

And if/when they fail, it is not a disabling condition. The truck will still work and run OK. In fact, most of those that have failed have only had the MIL codes as the symptoms.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom