BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
DOT Approved Headlights for BJ73

Hey guys,

I'll write my introduction as soon as I get this out of the way. :cool:
I'm trying to get my car registered and I need DOT approved headlights/taillights to pass the inspection. Anyone have any idea where to get them?

Regards,
TLCDude

Last edited:
I'll assume you're in Canada and your rig is a newly imported JDM.

Just get some 7" H-4 headlight housings, Bosch, Hella, IPF, Generic. Cost $25-100 each. Put 75-85W 24v bulbs in them and you're done.
I bought some from the local Freighliner place today for $28. I'll stop at Greggs distributors on the way home and grab the bulbs for about $5 each.

The tail lights will cost you $150 each at Toyota ask for an 86 or 87 BJ70. You should be able to sell your non marked ones and recoup a bit of the cost.

H4 headlights are available at most auto parts stores - make sure they have DOT or SAE markings (my Bosch lights don't). Bulbs can be had from many stores also - Hella p/n 78160 or 78146 should be $12-15 each (Lordco).

Your tail lights should be fine - look for the SAE or DOT marking (mine were OK).

Good luck, and welcome.

Will TLCDudes 73 be 12v or 24v?

Hey guys,

I'll write my introduction as soon as I get this out of the way. :cool:
I'm trying to get my car registered and I need DOT approved headlights/taillights to pass the inspection. Anyone have any idea where to get them?

Regards,
TLCDude

ummm, your 73 "should " have DOT stamped lights from Japan... interesting...

H4 headlights are available at most auto parts stores - make sure they have DOT or SAE markings (my Bosch lights don't). Bulbs can be had from many stores also - Hella p/n 78160 or 78146 should be $12-15 each (Lordco).

Your tail lights should be fine - look for the SAE or DOT marking (mine were OK).

Good luck, and welcome.

The Bosch H4 conversion kits lacking a DOT stamp is not an issue in Canada either as CMVSS 108.1 allows the usage of "E" code headlamps lacking DOT markings:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations...mvsr108_1.html

The Bosch H4 conversion kits lacking a DOT stamp is not an issue in Canada either as CMVSS 108.1 allows the usage of "E" code headlamps lacking DOT markings:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations...mvsr108_1.html
\

Good now I don't feel bad installing my nice new set of Bosch conversion headlights :)

That vehicle safety act stuff is pretty dry. The aircraft regs are just like that. Except I have to know them for work.....:eek:

BJ73 lights DOT and SAE

Good Day.
My 1985 BJ73 was fully compliant direct off the boat from Japan except for the headlights which (like was already said) are off the shelf 7" round housings with 24 volt bulbs in them. Dead simple to replace.

All of my lights, tail lights, signal lights, running lights, licence plates lights were marked with SAE/DOT as was my OEM glass.

As my rig is an '85 I didn't bother with daytime running lights or 3rd brake light.
But I did add a set of red and amber stick on reflectors to head off the evil CMVIS inspectors at the pass.

Good luck with your BJ73.
I love mine.
It's noisy, a bit underpowered, but hey, it's not supposed to be a Skyline. I average 24 to 25 mpg all around. Not bad for a 4,300# vehicle in the city.
Cheers,
Roman

Light bulbs

Oh and by the way, this was before anybody cared to look at the wattage of every single bulb on the vehicle to make sure it complied with the slightly higher wattage required in Canada.
My inspector said he would never look at every single bulb as he doesn't get paid enough foe the inspection to do this.
Regards,
Roman

Hey guys - a little update.

I received the Hella 7" Housing kit with bulbs that I ordered from Lordco but it didn't fit so I returned it. Toyota only has the housing with a 12V that I won't be able to replace with a 24V.

So - any suggestions as to where to look for these lamps? Lordco didn't have Bosch.

What do you mean, the Hellas didn't fit?

Where are you located?

In this post I put in some Trucklites that I got from Freightliner. You could get them at Gregg's Distributors too.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=139874

I am in Richmond.

The Hellas didn't fit because the mounting differs from the OEM headlamps - there's 3 hooks on the Hellas while the LC lights have 3 bolts to set the lamp in place.

I'll check with Gregg's when I get the chance.

Did the Hellas look like this?
hella.JPG

Sorry to break it to you, but those housings are correct for your truck. Those "hooks" are actually just indexing bumps. Some housings have them in glass and some have them in metal. The three "bolts" (machine screws actually) attach a ring that is removable for your old housings and is reused on the new ones.

HTH

Good Day.
My 1985 BJ73 was fully compliant direct off the boat from Japan except for the headlights which (like was already said) are off the shelf 7" round housings with 24 volt bulbs in them. Dead simple to replace.

All of my lights, tail lights, signal lights, running lights, licence plates lights were marked with SAE/DOT as was my OEM glass.

As my rig is an '85 I didn't bother with daytime running lights or 3rd brake light.
But I did add a set of red and amber stick on reflectors to head off the evil CMVIS inspectors at the pass.

Good luck with your BJ73.
I love mine.
It's noisy, a bit underpowered, but hey, it's not supposed to be a Skyline. I average 24 to 25 mpg all around. Not bad for a 4,300# vehicle in the city.
Cheers,
Roman
So what year needs the DRL and 3rd brake light ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom