Birfield??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had some time to go out and take some pics of my birfield after I put it in the lake. It didn't look like this before.

Do I need to just clean it up or are there other problems that need addressed?

truck probs 003.jpg
truck probs 003.jpg

You need to do a knuckle service. Putting it in the lake had nothing to do with it, looks like it's been oozing for awhile.

Go find a pressure washer and hose that goop off before you get started.

C-Dan will know all the parts you'll need, but I don't think that leaf is OEM.

thats what mine looks like. i know it should be serviced, but hey as far as i know my grandpa nor dad never had it serviced, and if its lasted this long im sure it will last a little bit longer

Thats your knuckle there brotha. The birfield is about 20 minutes inside that. Your axles and knuckle seals are just shot from being old, time for a rebuild man.

What they said

I had some time to go out and take some pics of my birfield after I put it in the lake. It didn't look like this before.

Do I need to just clean it up or are there other problems that need addressed?

Mine looked EXACTLY like that a week ago. Just finished the knuckle rebuild last weekend. While you are in there do everything for piece of mind (IMO):

Get one of the kits in the previous posts. I used the one from Marlin. About 50 pairs of rubber gloves, 4 roles of paper towls and 3 gallons of degreaser is also advised (only becuase that is what I ended up burning through).:cheers:

Thanks for the info. looks like ill be doing it sometime soon along with new brake line while I'm at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom