3FE hesitation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a problem with my ole 3FE (yes it's an 80 but ya'll know the 3fe better). Every now and then the cruiser will just start to die on me, no matter what speed or how much throttle (if I'm on the throttle, from 1%-100%). It feels like someone is flipping a switch and it starts to die and it will have no power until I let off the gas, then it will sometimes re-occur when I get back on the throttle.

Here's what makes my 3FE different:
-EGR disabled but still present (plugged vacuum lines)
-AI pump removed, air rail present but capped
-Timing advanced to around 11*
-Running 93 Octane
-K&N Air Filter
-PCV valve drilled out w/ mini filter, vacuum line plugged, intake line plugged, mini filter on front PCV vent
-Cats gutted
-AFM adjusted 1 tooth lose/rich

Tune-up just over 1 year old including plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, left bank O2 sensor, and thermostat. Where should I start?

Last edited:
:confused: did you oil your air filter if you did how much.i threw my k/n in the trash because if your not carefull.it can get into that sencer there at the breather(mass air i believe)

:confused: did you oil your air filter if you did how much.i threw my k/n in the trash because if your not carefull.it can get into that sencer there at the breather(mass air i believe)

I have the flapper type, not the wire/sensor type so no oil could foul it up.

fuel filter.get her low on fuel,pull the drain plug,refill,then pull filter and with the line open turn on the key and let a little pump out to insure all s*** if any is out.and then replace filter.you may want to check all the metal fuel lines along the frame.all lines should be on the passenger side :beer:

Sounds electrial to me. I've got a 3fe but fortunatly i've had few electrial problems and haven't had to trouble shoot that area. But w/your discription that is where I would start. If it is electrial, interminent problems can drive you buggy. I would start feeling around & checking connections. To your knowledge did this truck ever have a security system?

Good luck, John

I'll wait till this summer to do the fuel filter while I'm ripping out all the carpet to reflex line the interior, right now on the 3FE group they are suggesting the fuseable links at the battery, I guess I'll try replacing those first and move from there. I'm gonna check my plugs as that is the first thing on each list in the FSM.

The fuel filter is a 5 minute job on a 62, i cant imagine its more complicated on an 80.

I have the flapper type, not the wire/sensor type so no oil could foul it up.

The FJ-80 has the same Air Flow Meter as the FJ-62. I got rid of my K&N because of the possible problems with the oil, and the OEM filter is a better air filter.

The fuel filter is under the hood. And there is a screen on your fuel pump. This is probably your culprit, or maybe the injectors are dirty? Have you checked the electrical connection to the fuel pump? I am not sure where it is on the FJ-80 but on the 3fe sometimes it can get corroded.

What condition is your fuel pump in?

Is your EGR stuck open maybe? I had this problem with my 3FE and the original EGR valve. It would get stuck open after freeway drives over an hour and when I would exit it would try and stall out even when I would give it gas, but after I turned it off and would start it up immediatly it would act fine.

Here's what makes my 3FE different:
-EGR disabled but still present (plugged vacuum lines)
-AI pump removed, air rail present but capped
-Timing advanced to around 11*
-Running 93 Octane
-K&N Air Filter
-PCV valve drilled out w/ mini filter, vacuum line plugged, intake line plugged, mini filter on front PCV vent
-Cats gutted

Did you actually feel any difference after all of those mods?

The FJ-80 has the same Air Flow Meter as the FJ-62. I got rid of my K&N because of the possible problems with the oil, and the OEM filter is a better air filter.

The fuel filter is under the hood. And there is a screen on your fuel pump. This is probably your culprit, or maybe the injectors are dirty? Have you checked the electrical connection to the fuel pump? I am not sure where it is on the FJ-80 but on the 3fe sometimes it can get corroded.

Is your EGR stuck open maybe? I had this problem with my 3FE and the original EGR valve. It would get stuck open after freeway drives over an hour and when I would exit it would try and stall out even when I would give it gas, but after I turned it off and would start it up immediatly it would act fine.

Did you actually feel any difference after all of those mods?
good info and yea the fuel wire does lose its connection in the rear quarter,i had this and just bypassed the wire altoghter and wired the pump direct to the fuse block,no relay,works fine:beer:

failing fuel pump, kn fin things up(man I hate them), fuel filter its mounted on the inside of the frame near the front fender its not in the tank maybe the fzj one is but the fj one is not, possible cracked air intake, electrical....

Does the 62 use a mechanical MAF or is it the sensor type? I over oiled my K&N like everyone else does and im wondering if that is contributing to my s***ty mileage of late. I know you can clean the wire type with brake cleaner or the like but i dont know about the mechanical type if thats what a 62 has.

Does the 62 use a mechanical MAF or is it the sensor type? I over oiled my K&N like everyone else does and im wondering if that is contributing to my s***ty mileage of late. I know you can clean the wire type with brake cleaner or the like but i dont know about the mechanical type if thats what a 62 has.
my maf is a senser

In-tank sock filter has not been changed and I am planning on waiting till I rip up the carpet to replace it.

The frame mounted filter is less than 1 year old and should be good.

Fuel pump is questionable, it is the original.

EGR valve is disabled, it is always shut, and the problem isn't rpm related at all.

I have as much pep, if not more (aside from this issue) than I had 100% bone stock running 33x12.50s.

MAF is low on the priorities list to replace, I'd rather start on the cheapest end of the parts chain, not the most expensive.

I'm gonna replace the fusable links at the battery (yahoo 3FE suggestion), and run some seafoam or whatever injector cleaner looks good, and set my MAF back to stock (I forgot to mention that, didn't I).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom