Oil pan removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I'm stupid I know.

History. 1975 2f that has never had the pan removed. The pan is on there good. All bolts are off. Engine is still in the FJ55.

What tricks have you used to get the pan unstuck from the cork oil pan gasket?

I'm thinking of using a heat gun but don't want to damage the anything. I'm thinking a putty knife and hammer are just asking for it and I don't want to damage the oil pan.

thoughts?

I use putty knives and a hammer to sever the bond of the cork and the block. Works every time.

Put a couple 30mm long bolts in there on each side so that when the pan does let go, it does not come down and hit you in the face.

I use putty knives and a hammer to sever the bond of the cork and the block. Works every time.

Put a couple 30mm long bolts in there on each side so that when the pan does let go, it does not come down and hit you in the face.

you should have said that 3 days ago :frown:

People have been known to put a jack between the frame and the pan and pop it off that way. I imagine you have the danger of bending it and consequent trouble with getting a good seal, however.

People have been known to put a jack between the frame and the pan and pop it off that way. I imagine you have the danger of bending it and consequent trouble with getting a good seal, however.

The oil pan that I just removed from that 02/79 I am putting the H55 in appears to have had a jack on it at one time, as the pass side of the pan is pushed in a lot and the baffles are distorted.

If you use this method, get a piece of wood and spread the jack force out over the width of the pan as much as you can.

Might not be able to use the bolts as the pan will need to tip...perhaps one on the side opposite of the jack would work..

Good luck bud!

:beer:

you should have said that 3 days ago :frown:

Mark A does not know this?

Using a very thin putty knife, or I have a power hacksaw blade that I have put a very sharp edge on, and drive it into the gasket where the block and gasket meet, separating the two.

You are not going to do any significant damage to the gasket mating surface of the pan if you do not pry down and bend the pan when the scraper/putty knife is in the gasket.

You just need to break the bond along the flat edges, the front and rear sections will not fight that much when the sides are free...

What do you use to remove the gasket from the pan?

I removed most all of the gasket but there is a little cork residue left behind. I bought some of the 3M finger type wheels in course, medium and fine. I also bought some scotchbrite pads for my air dremel.

If I remove the paint on the mounting surface of the pan, is that going to lead to troubles with another leaky gasket down the road?

What do you use to remove the gasket from the pan?

3M Roloc 3” brown fiber abrasive disc on my 90 degree air die grinder...

If I remove the paint on the mounting surface of the pan, is that going to lead to troubles with another leaky gasket down the road?

I do not see why you would. I have removed the paint from that flange and not had any gasket sealing issues. I would only use an OEM one-piece gasket, as the four piece gaskets out there are garbage and simply a leak waiting to happen...

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom