ARB Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently found a used ARB full roof rack for sale, and I can't find out much about them in general. I have seen a few pictures and like the way they look, but thats about all I know. I was wondering what you all thought of them, and what they are worth nearly new. This one is used, but hardly. I can't find any vendors who sell them, so I really don't know what one goes for new. If anyone knows, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks for the insights,
-TT

They are very beefy, very heavy, and very expensive. I've had mine for almost two years, and you can definately walk around on it, use it like a pickup bed, etc. I've hauled quite a bit of lumber in mine, used it as a tailgating platform, and lain under the starts on it.

With those positives, there are some negatives. They are quite heavy, which makes the truck lean a hair more(not a TON, but I can tell the difference between rack and no rack). They are fairly obstructive to wind, which decreases fuel economy(1-2 mpg on the highway) and adds a bit of wind noise.

All in all, I decided to sell mine because I felt I could design and build a better rack for my purposes, but without all the fabrication tools at my disposal(welder, tube bender, etc etc) I would have been perfectly content to stick with the ARB.

BTW, I have/had the full length rack, just for reference.

Hope that helps.

Ary

It just depends on what you how often you plan on using it. As Ary already mentioned there are some negatives to having a full length rack of any type on the top of your rig permanently. Fuel consumption being the largest IMO. I have a full length rack on my rig (not ARB) and for how little it gets used I have been contemplating taking it off just to try and make the brick fly through the wind a little more efficiently. If its the kind of thing your going to use every weekend then by all means get one, and ARB is probably in the top 2 made for the 80. If your gonna use it once a year or less then I might reconsider.

They are very beefy, very heavy, and very expensive. I've had mine for almost two years, and you can definately walk around on it, use it like a pickup bed, etc. I've hauled quite a bit of lumber in mine, used it as a tailgating platform, and lain under the starts on it.

With those positives, there are some negatives. They are quite heavy, which makes the truck lean a hair more(not a TON, but I can tell the difference between rack and no rack). They are fairly obstructive to wind, which decreases fuel economy(1-2 mpg on the highway) and adds a bit of wind noise.

All in all, I decided to sell mine because I felt I could design and build a better rack for my purposes, but without all the fabrication tools at my disposal(welder, tube bender, etc etc) I would have been perfectly content to stick with the ARB.

BTW, I have/had the full length rack, just for reference.

Hope that helps.

Ary

If you dont mind me asking, what did you end up selling your for?

I had the full length on my 80 and ending up selling it. It's very stout and can hold a ton with the foot design. But, it's like having a landing pad on your roof, you definitely know it's there at all times.

They're expensive new, just the rack is around $800 and the feet are another $400. Then add in things like mesh floor, tire mount, etc. I got mine off Ebay for $400 and sold it for $500.

I have a similar Kaymar. Very happy with it now that it's fully repainted and the rust cleared. I leave it on full-time (not my DD though so mpg less of a concern). I find myself tossing things up there even for short local trips (gas, hilift, firewood, etc).

as compared to other more popular roof rack options, the most common complaint I've heard regarding the ARB has to do with its weight. It's heavier than most other racks. aside from that, I haven't heard much in the way of negative reports.

Its the best rack, ever.

I still have to wait (counts...) 17 days to pick up mine...:doh:

The Kaymar Tradesman and the ARB are very different. The Kaymar is thin oval tube, the ARB is thick round stock. I've never lifted a Kaymar rack, but the ARB full length weighs a bunch.

strangely, my Tradesman is thick square tube (?) and weighs well over 100 lbs...

Last edited:
Don't forget to check out the Inti racks from our very own La Cabra 4x4 in the vendor section. I've had one for almost a year now and love it.

the weight is not as bad an issue with racks if you can rig a hoist system off your ceiling or a tree. Still the stability / CoG issue, but at least you won't need a buddy or 2 and also take a chance to dent the roof everytime you struggle to put it on...

I use a tree and a hand-cranked hoist. Fun too... :)

If you don't have extra bodies readily available, no hoist. and can't / don't want to leave it on full-time, then I'd say don't get a full length steel rack. They are really too heavy for one person to deal with by hand.

Still the stability / CoG issue

Taking the rack on and off should be the least of your worries. How it affects your handling and center of gravity should be the primary concern. That's why people pay more money for the aluminum construction Inti and Outback racks.

An ARB rack would be an excellent choice for a primarily expedition vehicle. It can hold a LOT of weight and you won't be in situations often where all the weight up high will affect your COG.

For a truck that does rock crawling, etc. I'd look at an aluminum rack.

I agree with arya and fzjfillmore on their impressions. I have the 3/4 and it's just the same: stout as hell, heavy, wind noise, can hold a ton of weight.

I currently have the rack removed so i can ride around and actually "use" the sunroof.

Again as usual, thanks for all of the insight. I was doing some personal research and called a local vendor of ARB stuff, and they told me that ARB has never imported these to the US (only for european and austrailian market). I find that hard to believe since many people have them, and they are around. Is this true? I was looking to see what it would cost me new, but I think I got that from you guys.
Thanks again,
-TT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom