Would you buy this 87?+PICS+ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I used to have Toyota's when I was younger(ya know before the wife and kids). I've been thinking about buying a project truck for a while and found this 87 today. Its at a used car lot and the only thing they know about the truck is that it runs but makes a clunking noise in the rear. I'm thinking carrier bearing
I did not look it over real well but,
Its got a 3" body and a susp. lift,
35" BFG's,
Aftermarket (tubular) A-arms.
22R,
5-speed,
140,xxx miles
The only rust is both front fenders, frame and cab are rust free.
Glass bed, I'm not to crazy about it but no big deal.
The guy said $1000.00 but I think I can get it for $800.
Is this a good deal???
TOY2-26-07005.jpg

TOY2-26-07002.jpg

Thanks.

I'd jump on it, The bed is a bit funky, but for a project truck, this has some goood things going for it.

Thanks for the info.
There is not too many places to go off road around here. :mad:
So it would be more for looks than performance. :frown:

I was looking around and noticed a lot of people are going to a straight axle in front.
Should I be looking for an 84 or 85 ??

You can do a lot of things without a solid front axle. They are better for articulation, but not worth it if you don't have a lot of wheeling around you and it doesn't show up quick and easy when you're looking. Plenty of IFS rigs getting wheeled hard out there.

Yeah but he has the Rancho kit which replaced the upper a-arms. Not that the Rancho kit is all that bad but not the best. Acutally if you can't 'wheel much the kit is good enough for looks. If you want a SAS, I think it's the 83-85 that have the added truss, but from what I've heard, the older ones aren't that hard to truss.

I think it looks very clean, I like the aproach I'd say you got about 33" for fording depth, If some one put that much time and money in to it there is no telling whats in the rear. Looks like it would make a great four wheeler "Trail Rig" nothing to extream.

Its got a rear axle brace.

Bolt in cage.

Aluminum wheels (light weight)

SWB (turn Radious)

22R (nuff said)

I love the front (gravle guards, brush guard, lights)

I H8 (but doesent matter) body lifts.

Get it going, get a friend, go wheelin', have a blast, looks like cheap fun.

Lock one hub turn the front DS with your hand, see if its got a ltd. slip.

when you get it running make sure the ratio is the same frt-2-rear some one might of gotten this far with there "project".

No gears? find a roll over 4r (4:56) or ? it'll come to you.

Go park that thing next to a honda 4trax you'll see what I mean.

Now how much is a 4trax?

Looks like a good start, fix the rear end, remove the body lift and bust out the sawzall to rid that rust and your rollin......:D

check the frame for rust; if it's rusted through or soft, walk away unless you want to patch it.

I've never seen a truck that just rusted on it's front fenders. There is more somewhere, it's hiding. I would look very hard at the frame, make sure it didn't get a patch job while they were swapping the bed. Look at the round tube that holds up the exhaust and gas tank, it's a good indicator. Reach up in the area where the gas tank is next to the frame, right where the front of the rear pass side spring is in a hanger, squeeze hard and feel for crusty stuff.

Then peel up the carpeting/floor mat and look at the floor of the cab. You might find a surprise.

Still, a running vehicle that passes inspection for $800 is a good deal.

I checked the tube and frame, nothing. I did not look along the gas tank though.
I also pulled the carpet in the rear corners & looked at the floor pans from under the truck, nothing there either.
Its weird that its just the fenders. I'll go look at the frame along the tank and the floor better and I want to check the drive shaft and see if its just a bad bearing.
Is there anything else I should check??

Thanks

hey KLF, what do you know about frame rust :)

i bet by the rear frame hanger/gas tank that's it's rusted through big time. still not bad for 800 bucks. what part of PA is Kempton?

dave

Well, for the kind of money you're talking about, you can't be very fussy, ya know? Hell, I once paid more than that for a non-running parts truck with a completely trashed engine and tranny.

As long as the engine runs, the tranny shifts, and the brakes stop the thing, you really can't go wrong if you think the cab and frame are reasonably solid. It's a 20 year old project truck, it will have issues. Get a new set of fenders off eBay, maybe toss that ugly bed for a tube flatbed setup, start fixing things that are broken, then drive it. Keep an eye out for a cheap EFI parts truck so you can swap out the carb eventually.

But whatever you do, have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom