Kaboom! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So last week I was visting the new Whole Foods that opened here in Porltland a little while ago with my parents who were in town. After fighting the crowds for an hour or so, we got back into the car which had decided it wasn't ready to leave and refused to start. I thought it was the sticky choke plate on the Weber which has been rather troublesome lately, so I popped the hood, free'd the choke plate, cranked the engine, and BOOM! The car let out the loudest backfire I've ever heard(my ears are still ringing), then fired right up, rather loudly I might add. Upon further inspection, the muffler had decied it had had enough with the cold Maine winter and detonated itself. (Pics coming soon, I promise!:grinpimp: )​
Amused but still irritated, I decided that the carb needed a good cleaning, as the cruiser had been backfiring out of both ends. The carb is now off the car, waiting for a warm bath of carb cleaner to be drawn. My problem is that I cannot find any documents here or anywhere else online about tuning Weber carbs. Everything I've found has been either too vague or completely useless. Can anyone here offer any insight on how to set this thing up, then fine tune it? Any help will be rewarded with gratuitus cruiser pics!​
Lastly, I'm tired of fixing the hacked up exhaust the P.O. installed, nor do I want to lay on my snow covered driveway to fix it, so I was just going to take it to mineke(Sp?) and be done with it. Is this a stupid descion? Keep in mind that the car is a driver, and I'm only trying to keep in on the road with a poor(meaning broke) college student's budget. Thanks!​

If you can find the time to get to Plaistow NH, there is a very good custom exhaust shop there called Skips, right on Rt 125 as you come into town. Very reasonable on price, supre nice guy, probably about the same price as the crap that Meineke/Speedy/Midas will install. He did a complete header-back system on my pickup a couple of years ago, including a new cat and muffler for only $400, and it was 100% stainless steel. A 40 would be really easy to do a system on, that is where Cruiser Solutions sends all their exhaust work to.

I bought a book called Weber Carburators from HPBooks, and still don't know any more specifically about my weber. I'd contact Specter, as they have sold a ton and are likely the culprits who sold the one you have now. They could probably help you out. They do have rebuild kits for the ones they sell.

You can't be broke if you're shopping at Whole Foods. Go to Hannaford's for a month and buy a new carb with the money you'll save!

You can't be broke if you're shopping at Whole Foods. Go to Hannaford's for a month and buy a new carb with the money you'll save!

Cheers to that my friend! And now that the've bought out Wild Oats, they'll probably rasie their prices even more. Although I've been to the one in Boston near symphony hall, and I will say that the one up here is significantly less expensive. But then again, a parking ticket here is $15( and you get a freebie every 6 months!) versus $40 for boston...Then again just about everything is cheaper up here.
Thanks for the advice about the carb, I've been looking for the hanes manual on webers, but haven't been able to find it anywhere.​
I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the damage, as well as the result of "operation pass state inspection":D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom