If you haven't done the green wire mod.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
DO it now! I am not a great mechanic by any means and it shows. I did a lot of work to my truck based on what I have read here and asking some questions. I desmogged my truck a month ago, and it would not idle for the life of me, until the other day. I even disconnected the idle selenoid and plugged it in and got a clicking sound. Still wouldn't idle. I got sick of trying to correct my mistakes, and just ran a new ground to the body from the green wire and a jumper between the power for the selenoid and the connector. Turns out I made no mistakes, if I flicked the connector hard, or tugged on the wiring for the selenoid, the truck would die. Do it now and save your time when you don't have any spade connectors and need them to do this. It happens at the worst of times!

I'm drawing a blank as to what this green wire controls - goes to - or does. What is the mod related to?

Sorry, i was so excited, I wasn't clear enough. I the idle cutoff selenoid on the carb, which has a round plug on the driver side of the carb, with two wires, has a green wire which is a ground wire. It doesn't take much for that wire to get messed up, any cruiser I ever own will immediately have that ground wire by-passed and grounded to the body somewhere, before I even rip the mudflaps off, and put a stereo in, I'll probably do it before I even drive my next cruiser home. If more detail is needed I'll take a few pics tomorrow, and post em. Hopefully the next poor bastard like me that gets on the next time will read this and check this before anything, even if he/she gets clicking sound when plugging the selenoid back in, I think my problem lied within the plug, or it may have been shuttering on/off from me hitting bumps in the road, or from engine vibes etc. It idled great sometimes, not at all others. It doesn't take much to make a few jumper wires and save yourself from buying a ton of vacuum line, fuel filter, fuel pump, Jack Daniels, carb cleaner, spark plug wires, rotor etc. and whatever you may think is jacked. Boom if expensive it may be 5 bucks altogether.

The green wire is an intermittent ground by nature, it is controlled by the decel-fuel cut sender, part of the emissions stuff. It was not working because you disconnected the sender.
On non USA (non smog) idle solenoids there is only one wire to start with, they simply get ground from the carb body.
On a desmog you can terminate the the green ground wire right on the carb with a ring terminal under one of the air horn screws.

If you are still chasing little problems like this, get the emmisions FSM. Even though you no longer have emmisions the FSM is just as, if not more, important, it explains how all these things work and can really help with these little problems.

Thanks for the tips, and I would appreciate pictures.

I don't think this is something you want to do if everything is working right with the solenoid. Toyota put it there for a reason.

So why would you want the fuel solenoid working? I thought I heard it closes if you rollover.

Last edited:
I don't think this is something you want to do if everything is working right with the solenoid. Toyota put it there for a reason.

So why would you want the fuel solenoid working? I thought I heard it closes if you rollover.

if you desmog the truck, it ''confuses'' the emission computer. the carb will not idle and could have surging problems at around 1800 rpm's.
grounding the soleniod ''fixs'' these issues.

if you desmog the truck, it ''confuses'' the emission computer. the carb will not idle and could have surging problems at around 1800 rpm's.
grounding the soleniod ''fixs'' these issues.

I meant on a stock smogged setup..sorry..

does anyone have a picture of how they did this trick for a desmog ?

desmog is this a must ?

are they any other emissions to change or disconnect ?

Last edited:
It's the white wire, not the green. Green is 12v, white is ground.

Clip white wire on the carb side of the connector and crimp on a spade and put it under an air-horn screw. If you've removed the emissions computer, then it's the only way the ICS will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom