Question about Kaymar Swing out tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've never seen just the spindle from either Kaymar or TJM. Check John Lange's ROTW (wildyoats), before he built a full bumper he made his own tire carrier that used the OEM bumper with a spindle welded to the frame underneath.

Slee sells the spindle and clamp also.

I've never seen just the spindle from either Kaymar or TJM. Check John Lange's ROTW (wildyoats), before he built a full bumper he made his own tire carrier that used the OEM bumper with a spindle welded to the frame underneath.

I meant the spindle and lower base (the part that mounts below the plastic shield)....

I could make the swing and carrier easily, but I'd really have to do my homework when it comes to the base if I want a strong mount, so I'm debating whether it's worth it to get a Slee spindle and build from there or get a Kaymar spindle with bolt on base (if available this way)....

Rick

If you are looking for just a spindle go to a trailer supply place. Redneck trailer supply is a good one but you can also go to a place that fixes or repairs trailers. You can buy just the spindle.

I'll check with my local suppliers later this week :cool:

Slee sells the spindle and clamp also.

Have a link to the clamp?

All I see is the spindle and tube with bearings :confused:

www.troutindustries.com

Sells a hinge, which is available in a "HD" and "Standard" and is very reasonably priced. IIRC the "HD" is $50 and includes everything you need(spindle, bearings, tube, etc).

The complete assemblies are not on his website, but if you email him, he has them available. I just ordered two for my soon to be built rear bumper :D I've used these hinges in the past and they were trouble free.

Ary

I meant the spindle and lower base (the part that mounts below the plastic shield)....

I could make the swing and carrier easily, but I'd really have to do my homework when it comes to the base if I want a strong mount, so I'm debating whether it's worth it to get a Slee spindle and build from there or get a Kaymar spindle with bolt on base (if available this way)....

Rick

You completely lost me on the lower base with the plastic shield. Here is a picture of my Kaymar. The spindles are the same on both sides.
PICT0074.JPG

When I bought my swing away carrier from a wrecker interstate, they only shipped 'most' of it. Kaymar were happy enough to sell me the bracket that bolts to the chassis and runs up into the underside of the bumper cover.

From your description all you need is this same bracket I did, and the one that loops up over the bumper cover with the spindle on it.

I would suggest contacting Kaymar if you don't have any joy with the guys who supply them for you. According to their web site you can contact them on sales@kaymar.com.au

Try this: http://man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/Kaymar Tire Carrier Stock OEM Bumper 80 Series.htm

If the link does not work, go to www.man-a-fre.com. Do a search for "Kaymar," and find the item "Kaymar Tire Carrier with Stock OEM Bumper 80 Series"

Yes, I know what the complete tire carrier looks like lol

Thing is, $710 bucks is a bit too spendy for me :frown:

Just wanted to know if Kaymar would sell JUST the spindle and the the mount that bolts to the bottom of the plastic shields....

The swing and tire mount I can make easily....

You completely lost me on the lower base with the plastic shield. Here is a picture of my Kaymar. The spindles are the same on both sides.

Umm, that doesn't look like an OEM 80 series bumper :confused:

Scotts, I sent Kaymar an email yesterday, but they have yet to get back to me.....

Rick

He's not talking about the replacement full bumper, just the one that mounts to the frame underneath the OEM plastic bumper.

He's not talking about the replacement full bumper, just the one that mounts to the frame underneath the OEM plastic bumper.

Exactly :)

Here's the tire mount for the OEM bumper (from MAF's site)

KA1110.jpg

ka11102w.jpg

All I really want is the spindle and the lower bracket that bolts up below the plastic end caps...

If I can get that alone for a decent price, then I won't bother trying to make one myself....

Rick

Did you look at wildyoats ROTW? His accomplishes the same thing, much easier and cheaper.

Yes, I've been reading up on his rig and there's no doubt that it's cheaper, but I wouldn't say easier ;)

I mean, BOLTING on a Kaymar mount seems easier than the fabrication and welding that goes into his homemade mount :doh:

He did do an excellent job though and if I end up making my own, I'll be sure to ask for his help :cool:

Unless you really know what you're doing, it is ill-advised to weld the spindle to anything. There have been many tales of them breaking at the welds on similar applications on other home-made bumpers.

What I have done in the past and will continue to do in the future is find a piece of tubing(round or square as applicable) that has the same inside dimension as the spindle's outside dimension and weld that into the structure of the bumper. Then the spindle is simply a press-fit into the tube. Requires no welding on the spindle and is just as strong, if not stronger than welding the spindle.

Ary

What I have done in the past and will continue to do in the future is find a piece of tubing(round or square as applicable) that has the same inside dimension as the spindle's outside dimension and weld that into the structure of the bumper. Then the spindle is simply a press-fit into the tube. Requires no welding on the spindle and is just as strong, if not stronger than welding the spindle.

Ary

Hmm, since the OEM bumper doesn't extend to the far corners, I can't really weld the tubing directly to the bumper :doh:

As for press fitting the spindle, I guess I could do that if I had a full length steel bumper to work with, but if I have to fabricate a mount for the spindle using square tubing, I figure a square base spindle would make things easier to weld up :idea:

Case in point:

zjz4476's bolt on spindle mount (before final welding):

zjz4476Spindle.jpg

zjz4476Spindle2.jpg

zjz4476Spindle3.jpg

zjz4476Spindle4.jpg

WildYoat's weld on spindle mount:

WildYoatsSpindle.jpg

WildYoatsSpindle2.jpg

WildYoatsSpindle3.jpg

Rick

What I'm saying is you shouldn't weld to the spindle in the first place. It is best left to people who are experienced welders. So, instead of welding the spindle itself to any bracketry you would make, weld a piece of tubing there, and then let the spindle slide down into the tube. It adds one piece of metal to the equation, but eliminates any chances of the weld affecting the spindle's structural intergrity. It also makes the entire swing arm easily removable by simply lifting it up.

Good luck either way,

Ary

Rick

Did you end up getting a reply from Kaymar? They seemed pretty good on the customer service side of things last time I dealt with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom