steering wheel and side view mirrors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my steering wheel no longer moves up and down on its own after removing the key. any idea on how to fix this?

also, when i put the car into reverse, the side view mirrors fold down but when the car is put back in drive, the mirrors dont return back to their normal position. what could the problem be here? the car is a 98 lx.

thanks.,

Do the mirrors and steering wheel still move when you engage the memory seats?

the mirrors still do, but the steering wheel tries to move but just gets stuck. if i try to move it manually, i have to push the steering wheel to help the mechanism along.

well the mirrors not returning back to original position isnt surprising. There was a TSB for that. And the steering wheel, yet another TSB for that....not for getting stuck but for vibrating during retraction. This could somehow be related to your problem.

Yup, the auto retract mirrors is a common problem on LX's. Sometimes the fix is new mirrors, sometimes it is the mirror ECU. My fix is just to leave the mirror control in the middle position so it doesn't move. Get the dealer to disable the auto steering wheel and you'll be set!

but i sort of like the idea of the steering wheel moving out of the way when you get out and the mirrors tilting down when im parking. how do i get these two things fixed if there was a TSB for it? will the dealer charge me for it. i mean, the car is a 98.

yes, if the vehicle is no longer under warranty, they will charge you. You might want to be seated if you are going to get prices to get them fixed.

but i sort of like the idea of the steering wheel moving out of the way when you get out and the mirrors tilting down when im parking. how do i get these two things fixed if there was a TSB for it? will the dealer charge me for it. i mean, the car is a 98.
It's TSB which is not the same as a recall so yes, you will probably be charged for it. The mirror is a small job but the parts are expensive. I don't know about the steering wheel. Could be just the motor.

If you have any mechanical inclination, you can buy a Factory Service Manual to do it yourself. Or do the online FSM thing. Or AllData has a $25/yr thing.

do you think its gonna be a major job in terms of labor? im ok at taking things apart, but putting them back together is another story.

I heard some guy say getting the mirrors replaced was $1600 or so for the mirrors, painting, installation. Mine work, but I leave the mirror selection button in the center by habit, as every car I've ever owned before the LX has not had the tilt-down mirrors (so I learned to park w/o them), nor have they had the retracting steering. I had that feature disabled by the dealer as a condition of delivery since people on this forum have had their steering motors go bad due to the constant retracting/extending. Those motors just aren't made for that kind of use. Unless you can't get out of the car w/o retracting the wheel, I'd recommend disabling it. It still will work w/ the memory seats, as will the mirrors.

the mirrors come painted from the factory last i was told from the dealer.

Jim, the little knob still works correct to move the wheel? Is this option to disable it avaliable for a 2000 MY? if so im going tomorrow to do it.

the mirrors come painted from the factory last i was told from the dealer.

Jim, the little knob still works correct to move the wheel? Is this option to disable it avaliable for a 2000 MY? if so im going tomorrow to do it.

You can still adjust the wheel manually w/ the knob, and it also automatically sets w/ the memory seats. Just the auto-retract/extend when you remove/insert the key is disabled. I don't know if you can disable it on the 2000. I'd suspect so. I know you can for '03-07.

what a fantastic peice of information. Will the dealer charge to preform this? I actually never had them change any settings originally...but i did get my steering wheel fixed once, but its doing it again.

Interesting... next time I'm at the dealer my steering wheel is getting disabled, its starting to moan and groan!! I don't think my mirrors move either, and that's fine with me. Thanks for the info!!!

How many of you guys got your steering wheels lubed with a "dry" lubricant?
this was a huge deal on the other Lexus's in my family. All of them worked much better once the Dry lubricant was applied, apparently it should be done once a year. The Lexus Dealer here used something called Cheetah greese.

what a fantastic peice of information. Will the dealer charge to preform this? I actually never had them change any settings originally...but i did get my steering wheel fixed once, but its doing it again.

For something small like this, it's often 1/2 hour labor. I had mine done for free when I took delivery since I already knew about this problem from following this board for 3 yrs before I bought my LX! You can also change other settings, too. There's a link that Hoser posted way back when for the '06 LX that lists all the options. For example, I had the auto door unlock when you shift into "P" disabled for safety, have my headlights shut off immediately rather than 30" later, disabled the auto moonroof opening when you hold down the remote open button, have the doors lock automatically at 12mph rather than when you shift (since, say, if you pick up your kid at curbside w/ the car in "D" and don't shift, the doors won't relock).

i think the newer trucks have more features. My doors dont auto lock when put in drive or unlock when put in park. My lights turn off imidately when i open the door otherwise they stay on, and i cant roll the windows down by hold down the remote open button. The LS does all that stuff...not the LX though.

Yes, '03+ get the added features. Check this thread for more info.

I heard some guy say getting the mirrors replaced was $1600 or so for the mirrors, painting, installation. Mine work, but I leave the mirror selection button in the center by habit, as every car I've ever owned before the LX has not had the tilt-down mirrors (so I learned to park w/o them), nor have they had the retracting steering. I had that feature disabled by the dealer as a condition of delivery since people on this forum have had their steering motors go bad due to the constant retracting/extending. Those motors just aren't made for that kind of use. Unless you can't get out of the car w/o retracting the wheel, I'd recommend disabling it. It still will work w/ the memory seats, as will the mirrors.

I would do the samething but I have the CPO 3 year 100K warranty so I figure if it goes out they can fix it. If I keep it past the warranty I will have the dealer disable it at warranty expiration. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom