AFM - Loosening Spring for HP? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read on here several times that by "cutting" the cover off the AFM you can turn the big gear a couple teeth counter-clockwise resulting in more power for your 3fe. Has anyone done this? Recommended? I have a 1992 in great running condition. I removed the cats and bumped the timing but that is all, it also has new plugs, wires, FPR, and o2 sensors.

I have read on here several times that by "cutting" the cover off the AFM you can turn the big gear a couple teeth counter-clockwise resulting in more power for your 3fe. Has anyone done this? Recommended? I have a 1992 in great running condition. I removed the cats and bumped the timing but that is all, it also has new plugs, wires, FPR, and o2 sensors.

Haven't done it myself, but I have paid attention to the discussions. Two things:

1) If you don't get responses here, go look at the 3FE Yahoo Group. A few folks there have done it, and there's probably a write-up in the files.

2) I wouldn't think of it as a way to automatically get more power. Rather, it's one more tool at your disposal if you've done a full tune-up, timing is correct, etc., but you still have symptoms of running too lean or too rich.

Curtis

AFM=? new acromin for me, what be it.
Thanks, cliff

gracias, time to reference the fsm for the details.

I found it on Yahoo. I hadn't actually looked at mine but I guess you really just cut the silicone on the cover, not the cover itself. The thought of this scared me. Im gonna try to turn it counter-clockwise a tooth and see how it runs. I figure it might be fun to see what I can do if I get a little more fuel in there and advance the timing. I might make a little more power or I might not. I can't wait to go back home and get the exhaust done, I might really get 3 or 4 more ponies then;) (3fe performance!!!). Too bad that while im home i'll end up driving one of dads cummins trucks and mine will feel so slow. Thanks for the posts.

Hey guys, I just want to let you know the latest progress. Definitely mark the stock tooth of the gear, it can get confusing if your tuning it. My results: i would say great. My rig no longer slows or needs to downshift going up hills at 75+ mph. It definitely has better throttle response too in the mid-range and top end. I feel like I might have lost a tiny bit of take off power down low but definitely not bad, its getting better as my computer is adjusting to it. (if you try this don't expect immediate gains, my computer took around 20 miles to really feel good) If you try this on your rig I would say make sure your not in the mountains (if you are you probably don't need more fuel, you need air) and if you want to try it i'd make sure your ignition system is in good condition. I no longer have my cats as i stated so doing this with some exhaust work probably helps too. oh and i might hear about this one - I have a k&n . . . don't worry i won't wheel with it. I put the oem one back in for that. Good little tuning trick that only cost's a little silicone to re-seal the lid on the AFM.

Now for the cold air intake I hope to make for under $50 . . . (im a poor college student im trying to think outta the box here)

so, how hard was it to do anyway? I just did a big tune-up on my truck, and thought about trying it. and does this mod affect gas mileage?

Kent

No its not hard to do at all. . . I am going to try to post a pic for you, hopefully it works. Before you start, go buy some silicone gasket stuff. I bought the clear kind because I don't think heat will be an issue here and it looks factory. next you just cut the silicone around the black cover on your AFM. cut the silicone all the way around and pry it up with a screw driver. There is a large gear in there. there is a screw attached to a small black metal thing that holds the gear in a certain tooth. First mark this tooth. So you can go back to it if you need to. it can be confusing so definitely do this. Next just loosen the phillips head screw and move the gear one tooth counter clockwise (if you are trying to run slightly richer, if you wanted to run leaner you would move the gear clockwise, which i don't think you would need to loosen the screw for due to the angle of the retainer. I hope this works for you. I know im young but also in my experience vehicles with larger, heavier tires typically don't run as well and therefore run a little bit richer. Some vehicles may run too rich and not increase thier power but mine definitly helped mid and top end power. (after all, the 1fz guys don't make fun of us because of low end torque, yeah they have more but if were a good state of tune we usually have plenty) its the highway and the long uphill climbs we struggle with (mid and top end) I haven't checked but its possible the fuel milage is worse but I doubt it. I feel like since it runs uphill a ton better now and does not require a downshift or even full throttle it does better but it may not in your case. Try it, its easy and you can always go back. Expect your computer to take some miles to get used to it though
238 - 2.jpg

I posted a writeup on this not too long ago called 10 mpg??. Do a search and you'll find it.

Was this done at the same time as your exhaust mods? Just wondering if the power change is wholy the AFM upgrade or a little of both? Thanks

Just the adjustment on my AFM did alot for the power. Haven't checked timing or tune up stuff yet. Haven't had time. Runs smooth and doesn't rattle so I'll check the other stuff soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom