2 more diesel 80s from Proffitt's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here are a couple more cummins powered 80s from Proffitt's Cruisers. The white one is a remanufactured aftercooled 4BTA with a 700R4, and a split case. It is outfitted with a Slee 4" lift, cruise control, pyro and boost guages, AC, and all the goodies.

The green one is a 4BT with an aftermarket intercooler and all the good stuff too.

Last edited:
a 4bt? is that the JD motor? Sorry if that is stupid, but it just kind of looks like it...

Very nice!!! Just curious how long is the waiting list right now?

Drool!!!

How long does the swap usually take start to finish?

That engine is a 3.9 liter four banger. As I understand it it's a 6BT minus two cylinders.

pyro and egt ? come on.:rolleyes:

What does that mean? As mentioned above, they both have pyrometer (EGT) and boost gauges.

Anyways, you are looking at spring/summer of 2008 for a Cummins conversion. We usually need the rig for 4-6 weeks for the conversion. Grant it, the entire conversion does not take that long but we do work on lots of different projects at the same time.

The 4BT conversions seem to be very popular these days.

Grease Cruiser ,

That white one looks factory .Very ,very impressive .
My first thought was ...." farrk ,that's tidy " .

grumpy .

What is the advantage of the aftermarket cooler? And which did you use? How far are you in relation from Denver?

What is the advantage of the aftermarket cooler? And which did you use? How far are you in relation from Denver?

The aftermarket intercooler is for cooler turbo temps which allows turning up of the injection pump for more power. The aftercooled engine is factory from Cummins. It uses engine coolant to cool things down. We are about 3.5 hours from Denver, just outside of Delta.

Would I be able to stop by and take a spin in a diesel 80 there, even if it's in the lot? I called you guys before. I have the engine, and ordering a lft this week etc etc. I keep saying I want to put a deposit down, but I get cold feet each time since I have never been in one before. On a side note. I don't see many with the Slee 6, always 4 with this conversion....any reason why?

This might be a dumb question but... do you loose ABS when you do this conversion on a '93+ 80??

This might be a dumb question but... do you loose ABS when you do this conversion on a '93+ 80??

One can only hope!:beer:

Long time lurker on mud, first time contributor though. The green 80 is mine. Picked it up from Proffitt's on the 12th and drove it back to the SF Bay Area. The work is beautiful, everything fits very nicely and the truck runs great. The two trucks averaged around 22mpg on the way back, but we were not gentle on them, cruising at 80-85 mph on the way home over all the passes and everything. Tinkering with the fuel screw and the pump timing has provided a nice bump in power. New injectors will be on order soon and then a second tank to run svo.

As for the abs, the truck is now part time 4 wheel drive, so the abs only works when the front drive plates are locked. Not a big deal in my opinion, but the ABS warning light is on which is a little annoying.

:beer: Thanks to all the guys out at Proffitts that put this together for me.:beer:

SF Bay Area.

Dude!! Do you know something I don't know about registration? My hat if off to you is you have it legally registered in CA. I don't think that I would be that lucky.

As for the abs, the truck is now part time 4 wheel drive, so the abs only works when the front drive plates are locked. Not a big deal in my opinion, but the ABS warning light is on which is a little annoying.

:beer: Thanks to all the guys out at Proffitts that put this together for me.:beer:

Thanks.

:beer: Thanks to all the guys out at Proffitts that put this together for me.:beer:[/QUOTE]

Eric,
You are quite welcome! Kind of fun aren't they?! Have you had people run across any parking lots yet, wanting to know what the hell you have under the hood?

It happened to me the other day.............again. 3 guys drooled over my 80 for about 10 minutes while I was filling up with fuel. Kind of funny, I got to the pump before they did and they did not hear me come in. One of them noticed that I was filling up with the green nozzle (diesel) and said:

"Hey buddy, did you know that you are filling up with diesel? That's really bad for gasoline engines."

I reply..."Yeah, I know, but it's not a gasser anymore, I got a Cummins turbo diesel in there."

The man's jaw began to drop and then came the questions and then 2 of his buddies got out of the truck to see. Quite amusing really.

Have fun with it........Hey, when we going to Baja? We need to get a 4BT 80 expedition going.

Long time lurker on mud, first time contributor though. The green 80 is mine. Picked it up from Proffitt's on the 12th and drove it back to the SF Bay Area. The work is beautiful, everything fits very nicely and the truck runs great. The two trucks averaged around 22mpg on the way back, but we were not gentle on them, cruising at 80-85 mph on the way home over all the passes and everything. Tinkering with the fuel screw and the pump timing has provided a nice bump in power. New injectors will be on order soon and then a second tank to run svo.

<snip>

Hi latoyota,

Check out our SVO/WVO conversion stuff online, and I'm in Berkeley, so give a shoult if you want to talk - craigreece@plantdrive.com or 510-841-3606. But check out the website first to save us both time -:)

Craig

pyro and egt ? come on.:rolleyes:

Very important in a turbo diesel and can also be used to tune the engine for optimum performance. You likely won't see a performance turbo set-up without these gauges installed since EGTs are very critical to longevity of any diesel (esp turbo) engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom