Oil Leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got under my truck last night to do an oil change and it looked like my transmission was leaking as well as one side of my oil pan. Do you concur? What do I need to do?

Cant post pics.... problems... pics soon to come

Well, my 60 had a big oil leak, and it turned out to be the fuel pump. Wasn't easy to track down, either

Well, hard to concur without seeing, and also don't know if you have a 60 with the H55 manual, or a 62 with the auto. If you have the auto, I'm sure you know this, but ATF is red (or should be, unless it hasn't been changed in 15 years), so that would be a tell tale if the trans was leaking. I am not sure what the H55 runs for lube (I have a 62 with the auto), so I couldn't tell you what color it should be. I can tell you that I have an oil leak on my truck as well, but I'm pretty sure it is the rear main, and it isn't bad enough to try and fix, because of the severity of replacing a rear main, and a very minor valve cover leak that I will fix sometime in the not too distant future.

Pics

Heres the pics
truck probs 001.jpg
truck probs 002.jpg

Any ideas. The oil on the trans. looks like engine oil (not red).
truck probs 001.jpg
truck probs 002.jpg

Well, hard to concur without seeing, and also don't know if you have a 60 with the H55 manual, or a 62 with the auto. If you have the auto, I'm sure you know this, but ATF is red (or should be, unless it hasn't been changed in 15 years), so that would be a tell tale if the trans was leaking. I am not sure what the H55 runs for lube (I have a 62 with the auto), so I couldn't tell you what color it should be. I can tell you that I have an oil leak on my truck as well, but I'm pretty sure it is the rear main, and it isn't bad enough to try and fix, because of the severity of replacing a rear main, and a very minor valve cover leak that I will fix sometime in the not too distant future.

Mines an 88 62 with auto

What do I need to do?

Clean it up best you can,especially around the seals and gaskets. Then go for drive ,get it nice and warm and get under there with a flashlight and look for oil seepage.
From the pics I would say it the rear main seal. However a valve cover or oil pan can also do that and occasionally the rear camshaft seal.
When looking for the leak,remove the cover from the bellhousing and have a look up behind the flywheel as best as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom