Question regarding Cats (converters not feline) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does it make a difference how far back a cat can be mounted from the manifold? Does exhaust temp affect how efficent they perform?

Thanks.

yes and yes. Off the top of my head I don't recall the details but the distance effects temp which effects the cat getting to light off temp. The closer the better. The farther away the cat gets it may not light off and not perform correctly and IIRC if it doesn't reach temp it won't last very long before it fails.

you could do some exhaust wrap to compensate.

Have any of you run those cats that the ricer guys use? The "off road use only" ones that supposedly add horse power. They seem to be pretty much a straight through flow with little resistance. What happens if you run with out the cats completely? Other than smog stuff but suppose that wasn't an issue.

had no problems with rust on a previous vehicle, had stainless exhaust like the 80.

If you are going back with steel in the salt belt i could see there being a problem.

Have any of you run those cats that the ricer guys use? The "off road use only" ones that supposedly add horse power. They seem to be pretty much a straight through flow with little resistance. What happens if you run with out the cats completely? Other than smog stuff but suppose that wasn't an issue.

That is a called a bypass test pipe, it isn't a cat.

Please replace your cats. Without them, you dump huge amounts of crap in the air for little to no performance gain. While I am not a tree hugger, it makes no sense to create large amounts of pollution for no performance gain.

the cats at least on a 96 are already a high flow desighn, kind of liek a window screen extruded, you can see right through them,

Please replace your cats. Without them, you dump huge amounts of crap in the air for little to no performance gain. While I am not a tree hugger, it makes no sense to create large amounts of pollution for no performance gain.

X2...

Magnaflow has high flow spun cats, and so does someone else. They tuck up nice cause they're small. If you're OBDII, with two O2 sensors, one before the cat, and one after, it will throw error codes without a cat. I figure keeping the cat keeps me legal, doesn't hurt performance (some tests show taking out the cat hurts performance on OBDII cars), and it doesn't give the eviro-nazi's any amunition. One car vs. one powerplant, the car isn't going to make much difference in the overall scope of things. It will make a difference when treehugggers see you out on the trail with no cats and they have one more thing to hit us with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom